Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kimg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2014, 06:26 PM

Buying a puppy

Ok so I've had three dogs two from so called breeders seen the parents got shown all the paper etc etc but they both ended up with health problems. So has anyone got some good advice on how to get a quality puppy it all feels very hit and miss?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by kimg View Post
Ok so I've had three dogs two from so called breeders seen the parents got shown all the paper etc etc but they both ended up with health problems. So has anyone got some good advice on how to get a quality puppy it all feels very hit and miss?
There is no gaurantee that will ensure even the best bred pup won't have health issues in the future, all you can do is make sure you buy from a breeder who does health tests for what ever is prevalent in a breed,
kimg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2014, 07:11 PM
See that's what i thought thanks that helps put my mind at rest!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-10-2014, 07:39 PM
I was going to say that as well, make sure the parents are health checked, and if there's anything the puppy can have checked (in my breed we litter eye screen them) make sure it is done before you take them home. Ask to see the parents health certificates as well, don't take their word for it, make sure they have the relevant paperwork.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-10-2014, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't take paper crest as gospel. I'd double check published records
kimg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Thanks for all the advice, it's so difficult I saw all the paperwork from last dog who subsequently was diagnosed with hepatitis very young could not contact breeder after that funny enough, wouldn't take my calls!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Did you meet the breeder prior to buying the puppy and meet the mother, get details of the father, at all
kimg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2014, 10:35 PM
I met her when i picked my puppy and 2 weeks later when i went to pick lily up. I saw the mother and details of the father she assured me no one had ever come back to her with a sick puppy!. When i found out about the hepatitis i rang her left a message saying i wasn't looking for money or to swap the dog i just wanted to make her aware for future breeding, she never came back to me.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by kimg View Post
Thanks for all the advice, it's so difficult I saw all the paperwork from last dog who subsequently was diagnosed with hepatitis very young could not contact breeder after that funny enough, wouldn't take my calls!
Hepatitis is an infection or acquired as a result of an infection not something that can be inherited. It is very unfortunate that your poor dog caught it. So sorry for you both but the breeder was unlikely to have been able to do anything about it. They were however wrong not to answer the phone as they should have supported you through the illness.

As a breeder I do everything in my power to produce healthy puppies typical of my breed, but it is impossible to account for everything.

Even humans get inherited illnesses from apparently clear parents. It is so difficult, but a good breeder will do their utmost to prevent inherited problems and support new owners throughout the lives of their new puppies.

Thalice's Mum
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Health testing, records, also if your going to buy a certain breed, make sure to read the breed standards, and study pictures, visit a few breeders.

Before I chose Mouse's breeder. I checked out around 30 online, visited 10 of those. Also asked for references and called people who had prior purchased pups from that breeder.

Real breeders will be more than happy to give you such information. 8 months after bring Mouse home, me and his breeder still chat about twice a month and I send pics of Mouse to him monthly.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >