Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2012, 09:33 AM

Scared puppy runs off...

Hi All,

Are there any opinions on what to do with a scared puppy? This morning we were walking through a small bit of woods, which we go through at least 3 times a week.

This morning Bella started barking at something and really freaked herself out. I called her. I always carry high quality treats on me, this morning it was chicken. And she had already completed a number of recalls successfully. (she was offlead)

However I could tell she was scared, tail between legs, ears back. And then she bolted for it. Leading out of the woods. I stopped to call her, she seemed to stop and look at me, but she was too scared, so headed off again.

If I didn't chase her down, I honestly don't know what would have happened. This is the second time she has done this now....

Any advice what to do!?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-03-2012, 09:34 AM
A long line for now ....
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 09:36 AM
I agree, its a scarey world out there for pups.....a long training lead for now till she gets her confidence
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 09:43 AM
How old is she?

Sometimes insignificant little things can spook puppies. They appear to go through stages of being fearful which they eventually grow out of.

When my Bo was about 4 months, a woman walking past carrying a large yellow bag spooked her and she bolted in the same way your Bella did. She was headed straight towards the road but thank goodness, stopped and waited by my car in the carpark. This was the one and only time she did this.

All I did was be a bit more careful about where she was let off for a while afterwards until her confidence grew. Oh, and I worked on the whistle recall even more. Your voice probably doesn't even register to a dog that is bolting -- the sound of the whistle on the other hand carries really well. I would introduce the whistle for recalls if you have not already.
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi guys,

She has been on and off her long lead, especially in new places etc. But I will try keeping her on it a little longer to be safe. My legs went to jelly this morning hah!

Bella is 5 1/2 months now, I can see day by day how confident she is getting. But as I have been learning, sometimes a dog can take a few steps back. So I will definitely be a little more careful.

My OH has started whistling which she responds to, so may definitely involve a whistle in which the sound can travel further.

Thank you for all your help! As soon as I got her on her lead, I thought 'right, will definitely be asking dogsey people about this!!'

xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
How old is she?

Sometimes insignificant little things can spook puppies. They appear to go through stages of being fearful which they eventually grow out of.

When my Bo was about 4 months, a woman walking past carrying a large yellow bag spooked her and she bolted in the same way your Bella did. She was headed straight towards the road but thank goodness, stopped and waited by my car in the carpark. This was the one and only time she did this.

All I did was be a bit more careful about where she was let off for a while afterwards until her confidence grew. Oh, and I worked on the whistle recall even more. Your voice probably doesn't even register to a dog that is bolting -- the sound of the whistle on the other hand carries really well. I would introduce the whistle for recalls if you have not already.
I agree with the sentence I have marked in red. When Pereg was a puppy she was spooked by someone walking past with a baby buggy. She was also spooked by someone walking past carrying [and swinging] a full plastic carrier bag, and children walking to and from school with the type of schoolbags that have wheels and a pull handle.

Why those things? I have no idea, but she is still very wary of them.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Yes, there are as has been mentioned already, Stages of Development and one is the Fear Stage, where pups can even be scared of things they've not been scared of previously.

If you can, go back and see what your dog was worried about, maybe on your own without the dog.

Best way I've found is to re-expose them at a distance, very gently and not forcing, and let them have a good look and get closer at their own pace, very much their own pace.

I've not got my book with me which reminds me of the Fear Stage months but I believe IIRC it starts around 20 weeks and can start or end at any time within about 6 months of this.

Would have to check to be double sure though,or maybe someone else knows

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Here you go, just a quick bit of more info which makes things more clear:

Second Fear Imprint Period (6 - 14 Months)

The Second Fear Imprint Period is similar to the one that occurred during the socialization period, but, it is much less defined. It occurs as dogs enter adolescence and seems more common in males.

It is often referred to as adolescent shyness. Your dog may suddenly become reluctant to approach something new or suddenly become afraid of something familiar. This behavior can be very frustrating to the owner and difficult to understand because its onset is so sudden and, seemingly, unprovoked.

If you notice this behavior, it is important to avoid the two extremes in response: Don't force him to do or approach something frightening to him and don't coddle or baby him.

To get through situations that make your dog fearful, be patient, kind, and understanding. Desensitize him to the object or situation by gradually introducing him to it and using food rewards and praise to entice him to confront the fearful object or situation. Do not coddle or reassure him in any way that will encourage his fearful behavior. Do not correct him either. Simply make light of it and encourage him give him food rewards as he begins to deal with his fear better. Make sure you lavishly praise his attempts! This phase will pass.

Wys
x
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Thank you all so much! This advice has been great. I will definitely begin working on it, and keep it in mind xxx