View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 05:56 PM

Rescue foster - separation anxiety help :)

We picked up a rescue today, which we are fostering, no problem. She's barking a lot when we leave the room, and is obviously not happy about us not being with her - she's been through a fair bit though, so it's to be expected. I've not really had this problem to deal with before, so any advice would be gratefully received. She's a lovely little girl, but seems to get very anxious if left (even if we're in the next room).

xx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Why is she shut in a room? (just wondering as my dogs have free run of house and garden)
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 07:04 PM
She's not 'shut in' as such... we have a strange house layout, and we're currently keeping her separate from our own dogs as we're not sure how they'd get on, especially since our rescue boy is very funny with new dogs - so whenever we go in to the rooms they have run of, she's in the utility and kitchen. Also, we will have to go out at times, and again, she can't have free run for her own safety as much as anything - so we need some tips on how to ease her out of her anxiety
xx
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Have you thought about a crate ? when i have fosters i have a crate i use for overnight and if i have to go out for short periods.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 07:16 PM
I would probably be more than happy to crate her if she was comfortable with it. My Shiba is crate trained, and it gives her security and somewhere she actively seeks out if she wants to be alone or wants to play with her toys etc. I'm not sure how Freda would be with a crate though, and I don't want to traumatise her trying!

xx
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz View Post
I would probably be more than happy to crate her if she was comfortable with it. My Shiba is crate trained, and it gives her security and somewhere she actively seeks out if she wants to be alone or wants to play with her toys etc. I'm not sure how Freda would be with a crate though, and I don't want to traumatise her trying!

xx
Mmm difficult one ! you obviously know how to crate train if your dog is happy to go in one, i have had fosters here not too keen on it but i feed them in there with the door open and give treats in it and just make it nice and cosy, most have been happy to go in and out of their own accord in the end.

I agree with segregating if you need to go out, i never go out and leave mine together with a new foster just in case, same applies to overnight. I have had longer term fosters here that i was happy to leave overnight once i knew they were all ok together.

With the SA you need to start from scratch, leave for very short periods of time to begin with and build it up. Try crating but leave with a stuffed kong or something to avert their attention. Don't make a fuss when going out and coming in etc etc.

I find they adjust easier if you have some sort of routine in place , i.e. walks the same sort of time and feeding.

Can you not allow the dog to mix with your dogs when you are there so they get to know each other ? I have only ever had one foster one of my dogs took exception to, which we were informed was in season when we got her. When she was rehomed the family went out one day and came back and there she was nursing a litter of pups !! turned out she was pregnant when i had her which i think is the reason why my bitch wasn't too keen !
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Not sure, my shiba would be OK I reckon, it's the rescue lad who'd be all upset. Might have a go on neutral territory tomorrow, when he can be muzzled - and see how they get on. It would be easier, and she'd not be so lonely. She's fine with other dogs, it's them with her that I worry about.
xx
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 10:10 PM
A baby gate maybe better then a crate this way you can leave the door open she can see whats happening and everything but isnt trapped in like she would be with a crate.

I am thinking that if she is in a crate she may feel intimadate other dogs sniffing her while she is in their as it would make her feel nervous since she would not be able to go anywhere.

Like you say you dont want to traumatise the dog.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 02:18 AM
We adopted Mindy in July. She is now 12 months old, and suffers with SA. We also have Molly 10 yrs old, and when we leave the house Mindy constantly whines and barks.

We are at the stage now where it will last for around half an hour after leaving the house. We have stood outside an open window and listened to her. I have never tried to cage her, but do use a baby gate whilst my 3 week old grand daughter is here.

We are lucky that our neighbours are very forgiving. I find that leaving the tv or radio on helps slightly.

Good Luck
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Well - we went to bed last night, and we were in the room next to hers. She barked and cried for about 10 minutes, and then realised it wasn't working, so gave up. We didn't hear her for 99% of the night then - and when we got up she'd eaten what was left of her dinner and had a good sleep. Today we have to go out, but she can come with us - so that's OK. Tomorrow we have voluntary work for a couple of hours, that'll be the only time she's left, but it may be a problem, we'll just have to see. She's doing well though

xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >