Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hiya boi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2005, 08:44 AM

Lining puppy pens

What do you think is the best thing to line your puppy pen.
I was using newspaper but my lovely Chestnut & White Blenheim puppies were a muggy brown and grey clolour as all the print is coming off on their coats.
Yesterday I switched to wood shavings the type used for rabbits.
It's everywhere....and I mean everywhere.
Pups pen is in the corner of my kitchen and the sawdust is in the bathroom ,up the stairs,all over the living room and I even found it in my bed this morning.
Was thinking of using shredded paper but not sure about that as it can be quite long and windy and I thought it may be dangerous and just as messy as the shavings.
What does everyone else use?????????
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2005, 08:52 AM
To be honest I bought LOADS of vetbed cut it to size but left a small area clear with newspaper, if the pups had an accident on the vet bed I picked up the solid bits and just washed the bedding, I know my washing mashine was going constantly but I personally preferred doing it this way plus it also helped strengthen the pups legs because they had something to get purchase on when trying to walk. you could also get pieces of carpet cut offs, near where I live there is a place that sells large peices of cord carpet for less than £20.00 and I mean Large pieces(big enough to do a room) I also got some of that and cut it into the right size, and just threw it away if it got too mucky, I enven had enough of the carpet left to line the dogs crates in my van.

Mo
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2005, 09:15 AM
All my pups are shades of newspaper grey roan at the moment too, they start going to their new homes tomorrow, so today will be bath day for the lot......hopefully underneath they are blue and orange roan......lol.
Hiya boi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2005, 09:19 AM
It's horrendous isn't it.You know I'm sure the print never used to come off as easily as it does these days.
Last week I used a copy of Ad trader....for those of you that don't know the paper itself is yellow.
Great until they peed on it then rolled in the pee....result chestnut and yellow pups....very attractive NOT!!!!!!
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2005, 03:46 PM
try carpet tiles . they have packs of 5 in our local poundland store . cheap enough to throw away when finished with

i never use d a puppy peni used an old wooden playpen it had a hardboard floor . i put a strip of hard board 3 or 4 inches wide round the bottom to keep i the mess worked a treat
Hiya boi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Mine isn't a puppy pen as such OH made it for me it's like a childs wooden playpen only shorter
Kerrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2005, 04:44 PM
im lucky my pups are all dark and the print doesnt sshow lol
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Try vet bed on top of newspaper, wood is not a good idea they may eat it. Lets face it you will have to wash the crud off every time someone comes to view so perhaps the print does not matter that much.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Lorraine I think you need to switch to a better quality newspaper (like the indi or the telegraph..the print does not come off so easily
You can sometimes buy cheap rolls of lining wallpaper too if you are lucky just to put on the top
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2005, 05:36 PM
I've only ever used newspaper, but I guess having a Black & Tan dog never realized how much the ink comes off!