Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MTBG
New Member!
Female 

11-11-2010, 10:04 AM

Resident Dog scared of Puppy

I have a 5 year old Jack Russell who is a bright and friendly dog, always playing. Whenever he's met other dogs (puppies or adults, boys or girls) he's started playing and been firm friends more or less instantly.

We decided to get a companion for him so brought a puppy home at the weekend (5 days ago). When they were introduced, they sniffed around each other and seemed fine but, unfortunately, the puppy played a bit too hard and bit my dog's bum, drawing a little bit of blood. My dog growled at the puppy but then slinked away. Since then my dog refuses to walk past the puppy, if he has to go near he will run with his tail between his legs, a large distance from the puppy. The puppy hasn't bitten him since, and when they are near each other are always supervised by one of us. The puppy keeps trying to cuddle up to him but my dog is so scared, he just moves away every time. I thought they would have resolved this themselves by now but not so!

He has never exhibited behaviour like this before. I am still treating him as 'top dog' and he has no problems with us, just the puppy.

Can someone please offer some advice on what to do/what to avoid etc?
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi it's still early days and i have had the same issue with some of my foster pups and my 2 ,6 year old beagles who are great with any dog out walking, in the house though we have had a few pups who have tested their patience and made them very grumpy jumping on them when they sleep biting their ears,even a sharp bark and snap doesn't put some pups off! after a few weeks though they tend to reach a truce The problem with pups is the amount of energy they have an older dog can find it very annoying when they just want to chill, also their fast movement can spook an older dog and the play biting towards the older dog can get out of hand. You need to keep an eye on them and step in if your older dog is looking stressed, use the time playing/training and bonding with the pup leaving your older dog to relax.You also need to show the older dog that nice things happen when the pups around ,have them both sit and give them a treat,the older dog will then maybe see when pups around i get really tasty treats,make sure they don't try to pinch the others treat though you could end up with a scrap so for that reason only give small bits of food. Getting a 2nd dog can seem like getting an instant playmate for your older dog and in time i'm sure that will be the case so don't worry too much,give both dogs some one on one time and hopefully soon they will be good friends
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 04:14 PM
This sounds like my Benjie however he is dog aggressive but didnt seem bothered about Louie wehn we went to pick him up at 8 weeks old. So we thought oh this is good...we got them home and Louie can stand somewhere and Benhie wont go past, he wont jump over him if he's laid down and we're calling him and wont push past him (Louie hasnt shown any dislike to any of these actions happening) If Louie goes near him he will be growled at. We've ahd him for 4 months now, so it takes time - but every dog is different, maybe train them together (as well as seperate) walk them together, let them sleep in the same room etc, but also allow your older dog to have some rest.

By the sounds of it, your JRT will teach the pup some lessons in the future - he could be very helpful.

Sorry if I havent helped, but good luck with your puppy