Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2009, 09:17 PM

Laser Pens?

Just been browsing the internet for idea's for my secret santa gift and have seen on a few websites that now sell laser pens as dog toys.

Just wondered what others thought about it as I think it's a bit odd?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2009, 09:41 PM
the ones that can damage peoples eyes?

How can they be dog toys? unless its to get the dog to chase the laser bit when pointed at the floor
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2009, 09:47 PM
OMG no no no no dogs can become obsessed with shadows, lights etc. I have a laser torch for my cats but only play with them with it when the dogs are asleep in their beds
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2009, 09:47 PM
My old physics teacher told us it was a myth that they can damage eyes as the laser isn't strong enough? Not too sure, but I wouldn't buy one as a dog toy - seems odd to encourage light-chasing to me.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
the ones that can damage peoples eyes?

How can they be dog toys? unless its to get the dog to chase the laser bit when pointed at the floor
That's what they described it as and claim dogs love to chase it.

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
OMG no no no no dogs can become obsessed with shadows, lights etc. I have a laser torch for my cats but only play with them with it when the dogs are asleep in their beds
I agree with this. I don't think they are a suitable dog toy. What also made me laugh about the product description is that it is apparently a good way to exercise your dog

Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
My old physics teacher told us it was a myth that they can damage eyes as the laser isn't strong enough? Not too sure, but I wouldn't buy one as a dog toy - seems odd to encourage light-chasing to me.
Not sure if they can damage your eyes at all - i suppose people have laser eye surgery to fix their eyes so seems silly that they could also damage!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 06:47 AM
NOOOOOOO i live with a shadow/ light chaser, and rehomed one not so long ago who was the worst i'd ever seen, they become obsessed with looking for the light and its a nightmare to live with
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Noooo please don't, I had a perfectly normal well adjusted little dog that when she was about 4yrs old my son bought one of these laser pens home. I think twice that day he used it for her to chase on the floor and she changed overnight into a crazed shadow/ light chaser. it was like it had literally warped her mind and turned her mad.
I banned it, in fact smashed it and threw it away, but for the rest of her life she was badly affected.
They should carry a serious health warning.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Just to clarify - I never had any intention of buying one as I know they can send dogs a bit loopy.

It is very concerning how they advertise them though and I hope most people are sensible enough to leave them on the shelf.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Weather they can actually 'damage' eyes we might not know, but we know they can definitaly hurt and stun.
Think of the pilots that have been on the news because people have been shining laser pens up at the planes!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 08:50 AM
I have used them, but dont advise others to do it, dogs can become obsessed with them, they can run into walls and break teeth if your not careful, all in all, they are not a great idea,

I use them as markers in the dark, or I did yonks ago, I dont anymore,.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >