View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 07:31 PM
I have just been on the website for our local rehoming centre.
Out of the 13 dogs advertised on their site for rehoming, only 4 did not have any "issues" Of the 9 that did the issues stated were separation anxiety, destructive, barking, escaping, needing time to trust people and being unable to live with another dog. All things that could be dealt with by the right owner.
I consider the main reason dogs are in rehoming centres is because they have issues that the ordinary person can't cope with. ie you cannot walk into a rehoming centre and pick a ready made dog off the shelf.
Although I am not in favour "trial periods" because of the logistics I am very aware of the occasional need for dogs to be returned when things don't work out.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I have just been on the website for our local rehoming centre.
Out of the 13 dogs advertised on their site for rehoming, only 4 did not have any "issues" Of the 9 that did the issues stated were separation anxiety, destructive, barking, escaping, needing time to trust people and being unable to live with another dog. All things that could be dealt with by the right owner.
that sounds about par for the course.
but what you need to consider is it is not a case that rescue dogs have issues, its that 'second hand dogs' have issues.
usually because the original owner has cocked up somewhere along the line, so its an issue related to first owner, not rescue centres.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
that sounds about par for the course.
but what you need to consider is it is not a case that rescue dogs have issues, its that 'second hand dogs' have issues.
usually because the original owner has cocked up somewhere along the line, so its an issue related to first owner, not rescue centres.
I quite agree Kruse but it doesn't alter the fact that dogs leave the centres with problems that other people have to find the time and experience to address.
It's not all sweetness and light.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I quite agree Kruse but it doesn't alter the fact that dogs leave the centres with problems that other people have to find the time and experience to address.
It's not all sweetness and light.
i agree
and as this thread has now turned into the other thread on this very topic, i thought i may as well quote my posts from that one explaining why it is a positive thing to acknowledge these truths

i feel that rescue dogs are issue-led, by the mere fact that they have 1) been abandoned to a rescue in the first place, because 2) they have been messed up / ill-trained /mishandled / ill-chosen/ badly raised by mistaken or awful owners, which is compounded by
3) kennel stress.

If you take these issues into consideration when adopting a rescue dog, it will be a lovely reciprocal relationship.
To ignore these truths is to not take the issues, nor the dog, nor the advice of people like me, seriously enough. And is one of the main reasons that rescue dogs get returned by those that adopt them.

I dont see the statement that rescue dogs have issues as a negative, i just see it as practical reality that is easily dealt with if recognised and acted upon accordingly.
At the least, the baseline for EVERY rescue dog, espesh if it was kenneled, should be that it will come to you with kennel related stress.
Which means it's hormonal levels will be higher for a good few weeks until it reaches a more harmonious real life baseline.
Which, in turn, means your rescue dog will be over-aroused for a bit and may over-react to what you may regard as normal everyday situations.
Therefore, you shouldnt throw the dog into the normal trappings and routines of a 'pet dog' straight off.
Give it a few weeks to settle with immediate family ONLY at first, and introduce other things gradually over first few months.
This is risk reduction for all, and prevents heartache for all, espesh more heartache for the dog when it bounces.
If i had a pound for every person that ignored that advice..........

This is exactly the same situation that would be recognised for humans coming out of prison or military service.
What we are really talking about here is not that all 'rescue dogs' have issues, but that all 'second hand dogs' have issues. That comes back to the point that the original owners have invariably created the issues, so you can say that at least half the issues have nothing to do with a dog having a rescue status.
However, the other half of the issues will, due to living in a kennel, ie, stereotypical behaviours, raised stress levels, institutionalisation. These problems can also exacerbate or complicate the original problems created by original owner.

Albeit good rescues do try their best to alleviate all of this.

The right person adopting such dogs wont have problems, as they listen to the advice, and take it into consideration when they take these dogs home.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 08:23 PM
My POV for what is worth, is that rescues should not have rules set in stone, wether that be for flats, working people etc etc & for trial periods, surely like anything else in the dog world, it would depend on the dog & the potential Adoptee

So yes their "should" be some trial periods for some dogs with some people, but this should not be used & abused carte blanche for the dogs sake!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
My POV for what is worth, is that rescues should not have rules set in stone, wether that be for flats, working people etc etc & for trial periods, surely like anything else in the dog world, it would depend on the dog & the potential Adoptee

So yes their "should" be some trial periods for some dogs with some people, but this should not be used & abused carte blanche for the dogs sake!
couldnt agree more
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
All I have done to you is criticise you for the way you have spoken to others on the forum recently and for making yourself out to be better than other people because you foster. You made a very nasty and personal comment about me and despite my best efforts it has upset me. Do you think that is acceptable behaviour?
But Pidge if you critise others then expect to be critisised back I have never said I am better than anyone thats your interpretation. I have met some lovely people on here I respect and some I dont. I call a spade a spade thats me I am afraid.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
This to me is the crux of the matter. It isn't black and white and everyone should be judged on their own merit.

I have never had a rescue dog (but have had a rescue cat). However before I got my last puppy I visited several breeders to talk to them and see their dogs. Without fail they were all welcoming and generous with their time. One breeder was very critical of various people who had come to see them and of one person in particular who had to return a dog because of a change of circumstances. I liked her dogs but decided not to take one of her puppies because I felt the support would not be there if a problem arose. After all life happens and no one knows what the future may hold.

That is why I think it is so important not to judge people kcjack for being cautious. You could lose a good home. It is great to be so passionate about rescue dogs but the dogs need people to have a life and the people need to be treated with respect.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
This to me is the crux of the matter. It isn't black and white and everyone should be judged on their own merit.

I have never had a rescue dog (but have had a rescue cat). However before I got my last puppy I visited several breeders to talk to them and see their dogs. Without fail they were all welcoming and generous with their time. One breeder was very critical of various people who had come to see them and of one person in particular who had to return a dog because of a change of circumstances. I liked her dogs but decided not to take one of her puppies because I felt the support would not be there if a problem arose. After all life happens and no one knows what the future may hold.

That is why I think it is so important not to judge people kcjack for being cautious. You could lose a good home. It is great to be so passionate about rescue dogs but the dogs need people to have a life and the people need to be treated with respect.
Great post, well said,
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 10:14 AM
The people who I deal with every day are treated with respect hence I am always busy dealing with people and have made wonderful friends from people who have adopted my fosters and get sent updates and pictures all the time and have a box full of the most wonderful thankyou cards.

But this is a forum and I am dealing with cyber people and will defend what I believe in. I dont believe the majority of rescues have problems that the average dog in homes doesnt.
And I believe with a rescue you get so much love back as they are so grateful for a loving home. My last 4 out of 5 fosters have been total sweethearts a joy to have put my own dogs to shame.
Page 9 of 15 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »