View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 05:01 PM
mine are fine with it, use which ever clippers there are at work.
ATD
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 05:11 PM
The mistake a lot of people make is waiting until the dog is well into it's 'teens' or even adulthood before attempting nail trimming. I have trimmed my dog's nails from day one. If they don't need trimming I 'pretend' to trim them. I don't need to do their nails at all really, but that's not to say I never will. Dewclaws need doing every few weeks, especially the rear ones as they grow like the clappers. All dogs should be 'gone over' from puppyhood to get them used to having their paws handled, which many dogs cannot stand. Introducing a rescue or rehomed dog to nail trimming can be problematic though, but a dog can be introduced to most things eventually with patience and reward. I haven't tried a Dremel yet, but will be getting one for my salon for clipper phobic dogs.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
The mistake a lot of people make is waiting until the dog is well into it's 'teens' or even adulthood before attempting nail trimming. I have trimmed my dog's nails from day one. If they don't need trimming I 'pretend' to trim them. I don't need to do their nails at all really, but that's not to say I never will. Dewclaws need doing every few weeks, especially the rear ones as they grow like the clappers. All dogs should be 'gone over' from puppyhood to get them used to having their paws handled, which many dogs cannot stand. Introducing a rescue or rehomed dog to nail trimming can be problematic though, but a dog can be introduced to most things eventually with patience and reward. I haven't tried a Dremel yet, but will be getting one for my salon for clipper phobic dogs.
I use "let mummy see" and suki is really good, we are slowly getting there with michael, even though he was only 6months old wen we got him its made certain things 1000 times harder
ATD x
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Syd has his dremmeled and Rio and Milan have theirs clipped, Frankie's and Diesels never seem to need doing. They all do the same walks but obviously the Dobermanns nails seem to grow quicker. Syd loves having his dremmeled but wont let the clippers anywhere near him. With the dremmel he lays there like lord muck giving me a paw at a time and loving the attention, the girls leg it as soon as they see the dremmel.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 07:48 PM
i've done lily's since she was a tiny pup and always do them when she is asleep.

dylans haven't needed doing yet so not sure how he would react!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Jed doesnt mind as long as you are quick but unfortunately, I have a cheap pair which dont cut well and takes all my might to clip a claw.

I only clip dewclaws - Flynn doesnt have any and Jessie doesnt mind having hers done. Her nails are mostly white too so it's easy to see the quick. Jeds are black so I have to do little by little which also adds to his annoyance.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
The reason I put this thread on is that we had a gorgeous GS some 6 years ago, a lovely biggy. But he hated having anybody touch his feet and especially the claws.

They got far too long and we took him to the vet. we had to muzzle him to avoid bloodshed, but the vet only managed ONE single claw, then it was over.

We got a good pair of nail clippers and with great difficulty cut all his nails except one back foot, but it was a hell of a fight.

Almost all our walks are on pavement due to our location and our limited ability so perhaps we will be OK with Kaiser our new Rottie. Kas our beautiful big GS who died in August never suffered from long nails, possibly because of pavement walks.

When cutting I never know just how to judge a safe cut and avoid cutting the "quick" and causing pain and bleeding.
John Bull

John Bull
Dogs can learn anything... Why didn't you teach him that the clipping was a GOOD thing?

Even humans need some sort of nail management...
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 08:34 AM
I start at a very early age while they are relaxed I start them by getting used to their feet and toes being played with(you never know when you might need to closely examine their feet) to the stage now where they will just sit there while I do anything to their feet and claws,very handy as I have to cut the middle two claws on Ruby's forefeet every 3 or 4 weeks.
but with some dogs I find if I approach it in a very off hand matter of fact attitude I can quite often do it .

Jeanette
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2