View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Just be careful what you feed if the vet is recommending a lower protein diet. None you can over the counter are as low as the prescription diets. In the long run by feeding what the vet recommends the owner is in fact " saving" money. Its independent whether the owner " likes" a food if it suits. & agrees with the dog. You may feed an over the counter food for a while & it seems ok however problems can build up & vet treatments can be pricey. What size of dog is it?
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Just be careful what you feed if the vet is recommending a lower protein diet. None you can over the counter are as low as the prescription diets. In the long run by feeding what the vet recommends the owner is in fact " saving" money. Its independent whether the owner " likes" a food if it suits. & agrees with the dog. You may feed an over the counter food for a while & it seems ok however problems can build up & vet treatments can be pricey. What size of dog is it?
Thanks...it's a small mixed breed.
They hate Hills and at £2 a tin you would think it contained the elixir of life the way vets go on about it...
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by lisa0307 View Post
Thanks...it's a small mixed breed.
They hate Hills and at £2 a tin you would think it contained the elixir of life the way vets go on about it...
Hills prescription K/D food is keeping our dog in renal (kidney) failure alive & that isnt hearsay, its 'fact' substantiated by regular blood tests. Yes its expensive especially for a Boxer size dog - unfortunately some animals in their lifetime, like people , need more care which may include special (prescription) diets.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Hills foods a full of cheap ingredients the main ingredient is usuall corn and cereals then animal fat (which can cause bloat in deep chested breeds if it is oneof the top ingredients in quantity).

My greyhound Lily has kidney failure and was recommended Hills KD by the vet. I always read the ingredients first and good job as Lily is very intolerant and has bad reactions to corn and cereals. I told him I would and could not feed it as it was full of nothing but rubbish. He said just as good was to feed any senior food that suited her.
She now has wainwrights senior wet food and is doing very well on it.

I used to also have another dog that had problems with crystals in her urine. I changed her onto tinned chappie chicken and rice and it cleared them up and she never had another problem. She was ok with cereals as Chappie does contain cereal.

I have also read that Hills uses saw dust (listed as powdered cellulose on the label), as a filler.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2013, 09:15 AM
All wet foods are lower in protein than dry simply because the dry food has had moisture rmoved & this changes the %s of the food.

Any decent complete wet food will be lower in protein than a dry food.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Yes Madmare cellulose is paper, cheap filler of no nutritional value to your dogs, cereals and cheapest of cheap meat from questionable sources = Hills, what the vets prescribe and sell at top prices, it's disgusting.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Yes Madmare cellulose is paper, cheap filler of no nutritional value to your dogs, cereals and cheapest of cheap meat from questionable sources = Hills, what the vets prescribe and sell at top prices, it's disgusting.

i have always said hills is a rip off as it must be one of the poorest quality and cheaply produced dog food on the market and yet they try to make the general public think they are giving their dogs the best.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Nature Diet is an excellent wet food although I'm not aware of the protein levels in it but assume you have looked.

Hill obviously suits some dogs but I know of 5 dogs who were recommended it and not one of them would eat it Do bear in mind that the vets make money on selling this product and by no means assume that it is the best product on the market!
ruralex
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Veterinary schools offer very little training in nutrition. Science Diet is sold in vet clinics because they have reps that go around just like pharmaceutical salesmen and persuade vets that it's so good for animals. It's a scam, IMHO!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Must be just co- incidence that our Boxer is doing so well on the K/D, that her blood levels have come down. Must be co-incidence that if she eats anything else, she is sick & nauseous for days at a time Must be co incidence that my vet appears to know what hes talking about re nutrition.

One things for sure, results of blood tests are not a co-incidence

Our younger dog is also fed on Hills - D/D. He is in excellent health & condition. Of course hat must be co-incidence as well
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >