Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 07:26 PM

Shepherding in Highland Perthshire

I was asking in the travel section about Glen Lyon in Highland Perthshire, and whether anyone knew it well as there is the possibility of a shepherding position up there and we are considering making the move. I decided to restart the thread here, as it is more about a rural way of life than just travel or a holiday.

It is by no means a definite that we will go, as we do all enjoy living and working where we are, but recently the estate (it is a sporting estate) has taken a different direction in the way it is run and managed and we are not as happy here as we once were.

In any event, we have decided to find out more about the job, the location, the house etc and what sort of lifestyle we could enjoy up North before making our final decision. We have arranged to go up and speak to the estate manager (who hubby already knows) after lambing and see what is on offer, and what kind of lifestyle it could offer us and perhaps even more importantly, the children.

The upsides are that it looks a really, really beautiful area, the job would be a good one and fairly secure. Apparently there is quite a thriving community in Glen Lyon itself, which would also be quite nice as there is little community spirit where we are now and everyone very much keeps to themselves. I have always fancied living in the Highlands, and this could be the perfect opportunity.

The downsides are that we do enjoy living where we are now, we have a nice house in a lovely location and hubby is more or less his own boss (although I don't think that would change at the other place either). We are less remote here than we would be at the other place. I have made friends here and would miss those friends, although they would be very welcome to come for holidays I am also closer to my family in the Lakes here (although there are quicker routes up to Glen Lyon, so it may only take the same amount of time travelling).

I guess the crunch time will come when we actually go up for the day and have a look around and get a feel for the place. I will let you know

Oh - does anyone know how bad the midge and tick problem is up there? We do get midges down here, but nowhere near as bad as the NW Highlands.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 07:33 PM
it actually all sounds pretty nice Kirsty - I like the sounds of the community spirity - as you know, I love rural life but would never want to be as isolated as where you are just now.

All you can do is go and have a look and see what you think (and don't forget your camera)
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Goodluck whatever you do and I am sure many of us wish we were in your shoes xxxxxxxx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
it actually all sounds pretty nice Kirsty - I like the sounds of the community spirity - as you know, I love rural life but would never want to be as isolated as where you are just now.

All you can do is go and have a look and see what you think (and don't forget your camera)
I like the sound of being part of a community too I never realised how sociable I was until I moved up here and had little contact with anyone new. There are two houses on offer and one is at Auch, which is near Tyndrum but is part of the estate and has a couple of other houses nearby (including a holiday cottage), and the other one is away out on its own at Loch Lyon (which does sound very remote!). The latter one sounds far more attractive and what we are used to, but will probably be even more isolated than where we are now but is still considered part of the community, from what I have been told. I will still have to get in the car a lot to get anywhere though

As you have sensibly said though Fiona, it is definitely worth going and having a look at. Nothing is lost by doing that.

And you can get some free holidays out of me if I do go up
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Goodluck whatever you do and I am sure many of us wish we were in your shoes xxxxxxxx
Thanks Werewolf I will let you all know how it goes.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Sounds like you have to spend some time there and find out how you feel
My mum can only tell you that its v pretty

I remember holidays in perthshire where the midges were horrendus!! but they dont seem to have been too bad - or I am imune now!!

Good luck with whatever you decide, really take time
and see how you feel with the people there, folks can say there is a strong comunity - but sometimes they can be a little less friendly to newcomers - but you will know when you get there

Look forward to fotos
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I like the sound of being part of a community too I never realised how sociable I was until I moved up here and had little contact with anyone new. There are two houses on offer and one is at Auch, which is near Tyndrum but is part of the estate and has a couple of other houses nearby (including a holiday cottage), and the other one is away out on its own at Loch Lyon (which does sound very remote!). The latter one sounds far more attractive and what we are used to, but will probably be even more isolated than where we are now but is still considered part of the community, from what I have been told. I will still have to get in the car a lot to get anywhere though

As you have sensibly said though Fiona, it is definitely worth going and having a look at. Nothing is lost by doing that.

And you can get some free holidays out of me if I do go up
Well I get in the car to go most places too, though with me peebles is only a 5 minute drive away.

Holidays sound good - but you'll still be within travelling for a day out too and we can always meet up at other places - funny I was just reminder of our day out last year as they were showin the police dog handling trials on Call in The Dogs
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Sounds great.

We could pop in for tea at weekends !
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Sounds like you have to spend some time there and find out how you feel
My mum can only tell you that its v pretty

I remember holidays in perthshire where the midges were horrendus!! but they dont seem to have been too bad - or I am imune now!!

Good luck with whatever you decide, really take time
and see how you feel with the people there, folks can say there is a strong comunity - but sometimes they can be a little less friendly to newcomers - but you will know when you get there

Look forward to fotos
Not good news about the midges but I did expect as much. We do get them here but they don't seem to have the same bite as the wee highland beasties!

I know what you mean about locals resenting incomers, but apparently there aren't that many true locals left now, and there are plenty of incomers - which may make the integration a little easier.

Phil - have you found you were welcomed? I know some English people have had a really hard time in certain parts of Scotland, and there are real strongholds of anti-English feeling in certain places. However, hubby (who is a Yorkshireman) has found that wherever he has worked in Scotland, and he has worked all over, that he has been welcomed and people have been very friendly.

I will definitely heed the advice though BenMc and if we do decide to consider moving up, then we will want to spend a few days up there, seeing what's what, before making a final decision.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Well I get in the car to go most places too, though with me peebles is only a 5 minute drive away.

Holidays sound good - but you'll still be within travelling for a day out too and we can always meet up at other places - funny I was just reminder of our day out last year as they were showin the police dog handling trials on Call in The Dogs
That is true. It didn't seem to take us too long to get to Callander did it? It was a great day out , and a lovely area.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >