View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flow-wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2006, 08:19 AM

Are long haired dogs more prone to fleas than short haired dogs??

I have a Mal,I've used countless products on her but she still continues to bite herself....took her to the vet a few times for them to have a look,and they say there's nothing there...she's just a dog being a dog.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Well Seiko has NEVER had fleas.. and he is long coated..

and we don't treat him unless he needs it..(Although I did once when I knew he was going to be in contact with a dog who was known to have them)

SO I would say NO.. they aren't..

And I would find another vet who an give you a better diagnosis.. My dog doesn't bite himself just being a dog...They ususally bite if they are irritated by something.. (could she be allergic to the flea treatment??)
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by flow-wolf

I have a Mal,I've used countless products on her but she still continues to bite herself....took her to the vet a few times for them to have a look,and they say there's nothing there...she's just a dog being a dog.

Sounds like it maybe some sort of allergy to something or maybe even sarcoptic mange like my dog had (he used to bite his feet and body and scratch a lot) I wouldn't have thought a dog would bite itself unless it was being irritated by something
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't think so - I've only ever seen one flea on Loki and that was after he stayed in a crate at the vets. I give him garlic.
flow-wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2006, 09:31 PM
She has Eczema,took her to a completely different vets,theyve given me some special shampoo to wash her skin with.

I had never seen a flea on her either,I was just presuming it was that because of the itching.