Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lildanih
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2012, 03:53 PM

Worried about my dogs behaviour

Hi there I'm new to the forum and have joined as would like opinions and advice with my dogs.
So here goes so I have a 1 year old blue staffie called cesar and have just brought a 7 week old fawn girl called Gracie.
So Gracie keeps nipping at cesars face he just pins her down and opens his jaw is this ok and the correct behaviour or should I worry any input would be appreciated
Thanks dani
HannahnMaggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2012, 04:04 PM
I would assume if he isn't actually biting or hurting her then he is just telling her to stop it. We've just been through a similar thing with our 3 year old collie and 6 month old collie. Everytime he went up to her face she would snap at him, but never made him yelp or cry. We got him Tuesday and now they're the best of friends.
Of course collies and staffys are a very different breed and i've never owned a staffy before so i would maybe suggest just to keep a very close eye? Hope someone else can offer some better advice
Lildanih
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Yh I thought so too as they play brilliantly but I actually feel sorry for cesar the elder with her latching on to his cheek lol thank you
HannahnMaggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Im sure they will be best of friends soon but like i say I've never had a staffy so i wouldn't just take my word for it lol. But hopefully he's just trying to tell her to calm down like Maggie was with Bryn. Good luck and hope all goes well. Keep us updated and post us some pictures x
Kaska
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2012, 05:20 PM
It's Cesar's way of telling Gracie she has overstepped the mark; pups need to learn boundaries same as human children and this is the dog's way of doing it. So long as Gracie submits and Cesar then backs off all will be fine - just watch for over-aggression.
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Hi Dani. I doubt it is anything to do with them being Staffies. It sounds like the Cesar is just telling the pup her place when she is annoying him a bit too much. It's good for her to learn when to stop pushing his buttons, and will stand her in good stead when playing with other dogs too.

Have you taken any photos of them since you brought Gracie home? They sound like they will be a very cute pair.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Lildanih View Post
Hi there I'm new to the forum and have joined as would like opinions and advice with my dogs.
So here goes so I have a 1 year old blue staffie called cesar and have just brought a 7 week old fawn girl called Gracie.
So Gracie keeps nipping at cesars face he just pins her down and opens his jaw is this ok and the correct behaviour or should I worry any input would be appreciated
Thanks dani
Hi Dani if Cesar intended harm to your puppy I think he would have done so by now.
From your description I would guess he is playing with her and telling her to behave.

Puppies can be overpowering for older dogs although Cesar is little more than a puppy himself.
It is best to separate them at times to give the older dog a break.
Lildanih
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies I thought so he follows her everywhere and I think he likes the playing and she is just about 8 weeks and doesn't nip me so much which i like lol so I think he is teaching her I do have pictures can some please tell me how to upload
HannahnMaggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2012, 08:02 PM
If you go to the pictures section there is a thread telling you how to do it you will need a photobucket account which is free and very easy to Set up
Lildanih
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Can I do it on my mobile