Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-01-2007, 11:17 AM

I Look Forward to....

I look forward to the day when the UK takes Internet trading seriously. Having been a web developer and designer for some years now, I've seen the Internet trading era blossom, or wilt as the case might be.

Unfortunately, despite the time that UK traders have had to learn about customer service, they just haven't. Indeed, many Americans are genuinely shocked when they visit the UK and receive our idea of customer service. They're not shocked at how good it is, but how unfriendly and how poor it is. I wish I could defend the Brits, but alas, I simply can't. It's true -- we are generally useless at making customers feel special or valued, be it offline or online. However, it is online where we are exceptionally poor at it.

I'll cite you an example from only last night. Armed with credit card, I went to place an order. Luckily, I know the company can be trusted, but their website design does look decidedly "shady" to say the least, with its black backgrounds (a colour that is particularly favoured by online piracy groups). But as I say, I know they're ok and proceeded to enter all of my details.

After entering the details, I receive the online equivalent of the cashier silently pointing in the general direction of the customer service desk:

"We will be in contact later to confirm your order."

That's it? Confirm it? Didn't you just take it? Was there a problem then? Later? As in later tonight? Later tomorrow? Later this week? And how will you be in contact? Do I need to sit by my phone tomorrow? Will you email me? Tell me!

Sadly, this is not an isolated case. Most of my buying is done online these days and I can tell you that if I was a typical shopper with no computer or internet experience, I doubt for a second that I would use many of the stores I do. Most of them fail at the first hurdle -- design. So here's my top five crimes for Internet traders:

1. Not showing which credit and debit cards you take on the very first (home) page.

2. Not showing a contact telephone number clearly at the top of the page.

3. Having poorly designed product pages, especially if they don't show clear and large images of the products or don't contain vital information. (Vital from the user's perspective that is.)

4. Not confirming orders by email with reassuring words that my order went through OK and that things are now moving forward.

5. Hiding delivery times (1 day, 2-3 days, etc. etc.) away in convoluted pages, along with terms and conditions. Show them clearly so I can decide in a moment whether you can meet my delivery requirements.

Oh yes, and for the record, for those who don't get how easy Internet shopping should be for their Customers, take a look at Sainsbury's to You, the online shopping arm of Sainsbury's supermarket. They meet one core objective better than all others that I know -- they make it easy to use and, more importantly, use again.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2007, 11:25 AM
And dont forget, "using tacky multi coloured writing to express a deal, in Times font" lol
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Oooh, how could I forget!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Yes, I do agree, being based in Eastern Europe I buy from both the UK & USA and it is usually a pleasure with American firms, not always so with British ones.

But if you think the Brits are bad try shopping in the Czech Republic. In any shop you are faced with a sour looking shop assistant who will hand over goods. If they are damaged or faulty they look at you like you're some kind of nutter if you complain.

Alena was considering changing our dog food and rang the importers to ask where it was made (It wasn't clear on the packaging) she was told "We've never been asked this before, why do you want to know, I don't know where it is made, ring back latter!!"