Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 01:22 PM

Chewing issues is this a rescue thing?

Hi all I have had an idea for a new thread, well acutally it was Shona's idea here is the message she posted, saves me typing it all out. I think this would make a good thread.

"I have been reading your thread Re: Ben chewing up the house, Is Ben a rescue?
I thought it may be a good idea to start another thread asking other owners of rescues if they have had big problems with this sort of things, also asking owners of pups bought from breeders if they too have had issues, then asking what breed it is, just to see if there is a higher amount of any one breed/rescue/ sort of thing, it could go a long way to explaining it one way or another, I feel rescue dogs often suffer from this sort of thing more than other dogs, "
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Well, I'm on my third rescue border collie.

All were older though - Kip was about 8 years old, Hoki about 5 years old and Stumpy about 3 years old when we got them.

Kip and Hoki never ever chewed anything that wasn't theirs - in fact, neither would even pick up something which isn't theirs (so teaching them to pass the remote control was out of the window ). They were both destructive with anything which was actually given to them (soft toys would last seconds) though and I do wonder how they were taught to leave everything else - particularly with Kip who I'm pretty sure was badly treated.

Stumpy will ocassionally chew her bed and she does like to nibble metal for some reason - when we were camping she sneaked off with a tent peg! But other than those things, she has never chewed anything but her toys either.

With Stumpy I do find that her bed chewing is normally when she is hungry - if I give her a biscuit or two (after doing something for them so she doesn't think chewing bed=treat), it stops.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 02:33 PM
with the rotties, I find paper shredding is the biggest issue, they havent really done anything else but if they get a multi pack of loo roll as pups they can make it look like a winter wonder land in mins, it tends to stop when they get older, though vinnie still loves to chew the cardboard from the inside of the loo roll,

My GDS was brutal, he wrecked, carpets, sofas, beds, anything really

My BC, could aslo wreck a house in seconds,

None of these were rescue dogs

the bullmastiffs I rescued, One {kieser} never did any damage,

the other one : Sasha: who I had for six weeks before she was homed to my friend gail, did tend to eat the house/ we had to reinforce the kennel for her too!

{before anyone condems handing on a rescue. Can I just say these dogs came to me via bullmastiff rescue for assessment / training due to aggression problems they were never ment to stay, If they failed here they would have been PTS I kept Kieser as we fell in love with him and he had very bad issues, I couldnt have re homed him as he had the potential to attack if he felt threatend, So he stayed with us as I didnt want him to be PTS}
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 02:36 PM
i got bruno just before he turned 2 and likewise he will only chew his own toys - has never chewed anything in the house, has never even attempted it.

when baby came along i thought he might start acting out and touching the baby toys - but he never did.

if you give him a cardboard tube from the kitchen roll etc he will happily chew it but he doesnt chew the house up.

we were his 3rd home in 2 years.

and he is a staffie
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 02:42 PM
I've rescued Cockers and not had much problems with chewing but I did have loads of bucket raking in the beginning,xxxxxxxxx
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 03:13 PM
My rescue terrier doesn't chew anything apart from his own toys/chews. Although he's more of a 'tuger' than a chewer. When the man from Dog's Trust came for our home visit he was looking at things and saying 'You'll have to hide those wires, the dog will chew them' etc.

We've been so lucky, he hasn't chewed anything and neither did my friend's rescue terrier who I looked after for 6 weeks whle they went to Oz.

My foster staff apparently likes to chew shoes, but she's never ever chewed one since she's been here. The worst she did was pick up one of my crocs and chase Bryan with it

One time I went out and forgot to close the bathroom door and she shredded a loo roll (although she was adamant Bryan did it, the bits of toilet paper hanging off her teeth were a dead giveaway) Plus it was my fault for a: leaving the bathroom door open and b: forgetting to giver her a Kong.

So in answer to the original question: I know of 3 rescues who aren't chewers and one pure bred springer spaniel who chews everything in sight. He even ate the electric cable in the garden for the garden lights (he's not a rescue)!!!!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Our rescue Lurcher has never chewed anything other then her toys and rawhide treats. I think chewing is as much to do with age as anything. Ela is 4 months and she chews anything . .
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2008, 03:22 PM
My rescue Cavalier King Charles came to us at about 10 months old, and has never chewed toys rugs bed etc, the only thing she will chew is stones, and I think that is to get attention, as it normally happens when I am throwing toys for my other Cav!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 03:33 PM
My current gsd rescue never chewed a thing, not even his OWN toys, nothing and still hasn't. HOWEVER, my nephew recently adopted a 6 month old gsd from Dog's Trust and sadly he had to go back because he ate my sil's whole house, bit by bit in only 2 weeks! If only I'd known this, I might have been able to save him from going back, I would have had him over on loan to try and break him of the habit, but sadly they didn't even tell me about it, they only told me when he'd gone back!

My friend always takes on old labs, and the last one she had who was deaf and half blind wrecked the whole house, and as much as she tried, she couldn't break her of it, so sadly had to let her go back to the pound This was an OLD dog and yet it still chewed everything, very sad coz it speaks volumes to me
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 03:36 PM
The German Shepherd I fostered chewed soft toys & ornaments constantly but she was only about 10 months & several of the shepherds I've bred myself have chewed as puppies. Don't think in my case there's much difference.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >