Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 09:24 AM

What Is It With my Dogs

I think I should just move into the damn vets it would save me a fortune in petrol.
Its Shady this time, she was fine on her early morning walk and i have just been up to have a shower and come down to take her out for her second walk and she is hobbling round on 3 legs.
Her right hind leg she can barely put to the floor. Yet she is all hyped up because the alarm clock in her silly head says its walk time again.
I heard her rushing round barking while I showered and as she is a very anxious hyped up dog its hard to keep her quiet, the slightest sound outside she has to rush about panicking about.
I have rung the vets but they can't see me till 10 to 5 tonight . Just hope she hasn't done anything too serious as by then she would have made it 10 times worse.
She is obviously in a lot of pain with it and being such a big heavy dog if she doesn't think when something makes her jump up she could do even more damage.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I think I should just move into the damn vets it would save me a fortune in petrol.
Its Shady this time, she was fine on her early morning walk and i have just been up to have a shower and come down to take her out for her second walk and she is hobbling round on 3 legs.
Her right hind leg she can barely put to the floor. Yet she is all hyped up because the alarm clock in her silly head says its walk time again.
I heard her rushing round barking while I showered and as she is a very anxious hyped up dog its hard to keep her quiet, the slightest sound outside she has to rush about panicking about.
I have rung the vets but they can't see me till 10 to 5 tonight . Just hope she hasn't done anything too serious as by then she would have made it 10 times worse.
She is obviously in a lot of pain with it and being such a big heavy dog if she doesn't think when something makes her jump up she could do even more damage.
Poor Shady, I hope shes ok.
I know what you mean we were at the vets roughly once a week for about a year no so long ago, I was only thinking the other day that we hadnt been for ages and sure enough Jake is there the other day and is now in for the day. I do think I should set up a bed there.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Can you try and find out which part is hurting and then put an ice pack on it? It will help for 10 mins, and you can do this every couple of hours? If he's laying down and it's on the inside of his groin, then wrap some ice in a towel or a packed of frozen peas and leave it there resting on the sore part. He's definitely pulled a muscle by the sounds of it, getting up too quickly and maybe slipping with that particular leg. All the best, one thing after another for you with yours isn't it!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Bet he'll be fine by the time the vet sees him and you'll look like a neurotic owner... Pharaoh often miraculously cures himself in the car
Hope it's nothing serious.. Cage rest sounds like it wuld be a nightmare with him.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 11:10 AM
LOL He is a she Everyone thinks Shady is a boy, I'll have to put her pink bling collar on so she doesn't get a complex.
I have just bought her a steralized bone, so I will shut her in the living room with that to hopefully keep her quiet while Milo and I go out in the garden and make a start on painting the fences.
I can't see which part is hurting, she doesn't want to put any weight on that leg and even held it up while she bopped for a wee.
Just hope there is no dogs in the waiting room when we get to the vets as she is fear aggresive with other dogs and its far to hot to leave her shut out in the car.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Ooops! Well if you do catch her actually lying down, you know which leg it is, can you not wet a small towel with cold water, fold it up cold and wet (wrung out a bit!) and just lay it on the inside of her thigh. This will not only keep her cool because there are massive blood vessels in the groin area, but it might also keep the actual injured muscle cool, and in turn it won't be hurting so much. I used to do this a lot with any muscle injuries and it will help. Take it off after 10 mins. coz it will be very warm and it might make her feel hotter though!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Get's on your wick, doesn't it Bev?

Hope Shady's ok soon x0x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Bet he'll be fine by the time the vet sees him and you'll look like a neurotic owner.

and how did you know that was going to be the case

Vets phoned and bought our appointment forward much to my relief as she wouldn't settle and rest and yet was squealing out with pain evertime she accidentally put it down and moved on it.
Anyway she sat in waiting room with said leg all twisted out to the side, vet calls us in and she gets up walks in on all 4 damn legs. Vet had a little feel but she was very tense and has given her some anti inflamatory pain killers and said she is to rest till Monday, Stress head Shady has never heard of the word.
If she is no better by monday then I am to phone up first thing and book her for a sedation and x-ray for Monday, but if she is ok then she can start quiet walks and slowly build up.
She thinks she has pulled a muscle, but it was hard to feel properly, so a few days should tell us if its that or more.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Ahh playing the old "my Mum is obsessed by my health trick!!" - yes, it's happened before to me too!!

Dogs are fab at making us look like fools huh? Well, I guess if it was something serious Shady would have pulled the place in when the vet manipulated it? So hopefully, that's a good sign - fingers crossed
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Now she is back home she is hobbling about again. She had her Rimadyl about 2 hrs ago, so hopefully they will help a bit soon.
Vet didn't really get to manipulate much, just a little feel as Shady was so tense, thats why if she is not completely right by monday she has to go in for sedation and x-rays, she said she could have a good look and feel then as well.
I'm dreading tomorrow when walk time comes and she can't go, she is going to get very stressed, especially when I take Milo.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >