Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 05:24 PM

Titre Test Etc (Cavalier King Charles)

Ok, having read, and heard numerous reports regarding annual booster jabs and adverse reactions in our dogs, I decided NOT have them done today.

Instead I have asked my vet to carry out out titre level tests on both boys, and anticipate results in approx a weeks time.

I was surprised when he confessed having never been asked for the test to be done before. He did try to recommend the booster but admitted it was my decision at the end of the day.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 05:30 PM
well done just goes to show when you give the vet some info how easy they let you decide x
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks inca x
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 06:05 PM
If you don't mind me asking....

How much does it cost to get the tests done?
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Well done you!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-03-2007, 06:08 PM
When it was time for my 2 to have their booster I asked for this and was told it would work out too expensive, I then asked for the homeopathic option (they have a homeopathically qualified vet there) and they said that the homeopathic one didn't work, so I was left with no option but to have their boosters as they go in kennels every month. My kennels was quite OK about them either having the titre or the homeopathic as well!!! After they had had their boosters I was about 5 minutes down the road with them when Cariad started throwing up and staggering about, my life passed before my eyes I can tell you, and I rang them and said I was bringing them straight back in.
I checked her gums and eyelids for colour and that was OK.
Took them back and the vet checked her and said she was OK but that sometimes there was that type of reaction.
I really wanted to do anything but have the boosters done as well and tried every option. Muddiwarx tells me she has the titre for 40 pounds, which is no different really to the boosters.
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2007, 06:22 PM
My Mum had her suspicions, after reading a few things on the internet, that boosters were doing more harm than good. So one year she had titre levels done and the results came back saying they didn't need the boosters. Mum's suspicions were confirmed and now our dogs get their puppy boosters, and thats it.

It'll be interesting to see if your results are the same.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Dont forget you are only testing for circulating antibodies and NOT the memory cells, memory cells are the things that mount he response to disease. So, if your dog has NOT come in contact with one of the diseases it was vaccinated against recently it may have a low titre count, BUT that does NOT mean it needs a booster!!
Dawn.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I paid £60 for the test, but like most things prices do vary, so always ask first!!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 12:05 AM
Thanks.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >