Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I have never classed myself as a breeder, I had one litter which I kept so none were ever available to anyone else, I didn't intend to have another litter.

I have had lots of enquiries but have always said I don't breed and put them on to someone else, should I say that I am a breeder then to anyone who is looking for a puppy?

Someone who bred in the past but doesn't anymore wouldn't be a breeder, they used to be a breeder.

I wouldn't class someone who had an accidental litter as a breeder either, they are someone who had an accidental litter.
Accidently bred a litter.

Yes I would class you as a breeder.

You bred a litter... that makes you a breeder.

Being a breeder is not defined by how many litters you have had... its by the fact you have bred a litter.

I woudl class you as someone who bred one litter BRED/Breeder.

Your friend is a breeder who no longer breeds.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 07:21 AM
If I was looking for a breeder I would be looking for someone who was actually going to have puppies, not had puppies in the past or accidently had puppies but didn't intend to have any others.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Accidently bred a litter.

Yes I would class you as a breeder.

You bred a litter... that makes you a breeder.

Being a breeder is not defined by how many litters you have had... its by the fact you have bred a litter.

I woudl class you as someone who bred one litter BRED/Breeder.

Your friend is a breeder who no longer breeds.
BTW I didn't accidently breed anything, it was very much planned and I got from it more than I could ever have dreamed.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 07:54 AM
If I was looking for a breeder I would be looking for someone who was actually going to have puppies, not had puppies in the past or accidently had puppies but didn't intend to have any others.
just to put a diff angle on this, if someone came up and admired one of the dogs you bred, then asked who the breeder is what would you tell them?

I have had two litters to date and im proud of it

I never understand why some feel saying your a breeder is a bad thing, you will never get an ounce of dinial or shame from me, I couldnt be more pleased with the dogs I have bred, every time I see them they make me so proud to be there breeder,

im there breeder, im responsible for them till the day they die,

lozzie to put another angle on your view....
if your dog escaped and attacked another dog or person, would it not be your responsibility as you didnt plan it and were not with the dog?
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Gosh - this thread has got a bit bogged down in semantics.

Hot diggerty!

Personally I take the term 'breeder' to mean an intentional act of breeding. A person would be a breeder if they enaged in such activity as an on-going process.

I have a relative who bred regularly (and successfully) but retired some twenty-odd years back. In describing this relative I might say "she was a breeder". To describe her as "She is a breeder" would give a misleading impression that she still bred or intended to breed. 'Breeder' then is something she was, not something she is.

Admittedly, though, this is not a consistent convention. If a person murders then I am content to call him a "murderer" even when he has stopped murdering and is, say, eating his dinner.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-10-2009, 11:35 AM
So when you bred your litter, and people asked you were you had your pups from, (as you said you kept them , I think) I would assume your answer have been something like.

I bred them!!!!!!!!!!

BTW I didn't accidently breed anything, it was very much planned and I got from it more than I could ever have dreamed.

I did not say you had. I was referring to this.

I wouldn't class someone who had an accidental litter as a breeder either, they are someone who had an accidental litter
Adding the word "bred" in between the "accidental " and "litter"
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
just to put a diff angle on this, if someone came up and admired one of the dogs you bred, then asked who the breeder is what would you tell them?

I never understand why some feel saying your a breeder is a bad thing, you will never get an ounce of dinial or shame from me, I couldnt be more pleased with the dogs I have bred, every time I see them they make me so proud to be there breeder,

if your dog escaped and attacked another dog or person, would it not be your responsibility as you didnt plan it and were not with the dog?
There is nothing wrong with ethical breeders, I am proud of every one of my dogs, (Rufus was top puppy 2006 and top male last year) but if someone said to me are you a breeder I say yes I bred these but they were a one off for myself.

I didn't breed but am expecting my second litter (fingers crossed), I have found some super homes that have all had B's before.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Anyone with an entire male or female which causes or has a litter is owned by someone who is from that moment a breeder.
In your hypothetical yes indeed you would be a breeder [ stud owner ] because you would have allowed your dog to impregnate a bitch, whether intentional or not allowing it to happen including through negligence makes the owner a breeder.
but in my hypothetical situation, i would not have allowed it. so everyone whos dog gets lost or goes missing is negligent?? i dont agree with that at all.

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I agree with Patch, its about allowing your bitch to have a litter, whether intentional or not.

But even if we were to follow your (Lozzibear's) argument about not making the choice - these days you always have the choice....even if there was an accidental mating, you now have the option of having the jag to terminate the pregnancy. Therefore if you do not take that option you are still chosing to let your bitch have the litter, so I don't think the bitch's owner can then turn round and say that they are not a breeder because they didn't 'intend' to breed.
but, what about the owners of the male dogs?? they cant make the bitches owner terminate the pregnancy. and what if the person doesnt realise their dog is pregnant until its too late? its not as cut and dry as people make out.

Someone who bred in the past but doesn't anymore wouldn't be a breeder, they used to be a breeder.

I wouldn't class someone who had an accidental litter as a breeder either, they are someone who had an accidental litter.
totally agree with that.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post

yes, i would be responisble but thats not the point in this. if i had a dog who either got pregnant, or got a female pregnant, i would do everything i could to do the right thing, for the dogs and the pups... therefore i would be taking responibility for it. wouldnt be intentional though!

if jake got out and attacked another dog, i would take responibility by paying for the other dogs vet bills, working on jakes problem etc. but could people then class me as a dog fighter?? coz my dog accidently got loose, attacked a dog... therefore, according to what people on here have said, that would make me a dog fighter... no it wouldnt! coz there was no intent!!!!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
but in my hypothetical situation, i would not have allowed it. so everyone whos dog gets lost or goes missing is negligent?? i dont agree with that at all.

In your hypothetical scenario, you said "IF" your dog got loose, and he impregnated a bitch, you would not be 1) held accountable 2 ) not a breeder.

So the answers you received are to the hypothetical question your provided.

And yes , you would be held accountable for the pregnancy , because you where negligent in not making sure the entire dog did not roam. as as stated earlier, you would be the "stud "owner, so not technically the breeder,but equally responsible

but, what about the owners of the male dogs?? they cant make the bitches owner terminate the pregnancy. and what if the person doesnt realise their dog is pregnant until its too late? its not as cut and dry as people make out.

totally agree with that.

Not sure why the above scenario, needs to be cut and dried to the reference of what makes a breeder... the bitches owner in the above will be the breeder, the stud dogs owner will be the "studs" owner

yes, i would be responisble but thats not the point in this. if i had a dog who either got pregnant, or got a female pregnant, i would do everything i could to do the right thing, for the dogs and the pups... therefore i would be taking responibility for it. wouldnt be intentional though!

it doesn't matter if it is intentional or not, the fact , some one has allowed their dog to be "bred" from

if jake got out and attacked another dog, i would take responibility by paying for the other dogs vet bills, working on jakes problem etc. but could people then class me as a dog fighter?? coz my dog accidently got loose, attacked a dog... therefore, according to what people on here have said, that would make me a dog fighter... no it wouldnt! coz there was no intent!!!!!
If your do got out in that scenario, you would be classed as the owner of a dog that attacked another, and may be held accountable, regardless of the intent on your part.

You cant say , Well I did not mean it to happen, so I am not responsible.

if you accidentally break the law, you have still broken the law, you can argue till the cows come home, you had no "INTENT" but the fact is the deed was done.

You seem to have this distorted theory, that unless you "planned" to do something, you are not help accountable
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
If your do got out in that scenario, you would be classed as the owner of a dog that attacked another, and may be held accountable, regardless of the intent on your part.

You cant say , Well I did not mean it to happen, so I am not responsible.

if you accidentally break the law, you have still broken the law, you can argue till the cows come home, you had no "INTENT" but the fact is the deed was done.

You seem to have this distorted theory, that unless you "planned" to do something, you are not help accountable
i didnt, in the hypothetical situation, say that the person would not be held accountable! they would be but they wouldnt be a breeder. so any dog that gets out has a negligent owner?? accidents cant happen where a dog gets out?? accidents happen all the time, i dont know a person who, as a child, didnt get lost in the supermarket... things like that just happen! we can be careful but they still happen. maybe everyone else just isnt a perfect as you then!

again, if the pregnancy is accidental, it hasnt been allowed!!

so why if my dog were to get pregnant while loose, would be a breeder yet if my dog got loose and got in a fight, i wouldnt be a dog fighter... how can i be a breeder for something accidental but not a dog fighter in the same scenario??

and, where did i say people werent accountable unless there was intent?? i did, i said they would be but that doesnt make them a breeder!!!!
Page 10 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 >