Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bones68
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-02-2013, 08:48 PM

How to calm an over excited puppy?

Hi,

We have a collie/springer spaniel cross puppy who we brought home just over a week ago. He is 9.5 weeks old at the moment.

Generally he is very well behaved, but occasionally he goes into manic mad puppy mode and we can't control him or calm him down. When he is like this, he runs around like crazy and constantly jumps up trying to nip. We have tried ignoring him, shouting NO etc but he just ignores us and carries on with his mad spree.

Another thing we are having difficulty with is when he is in the garden, he keeps picking up stones, bark, twigs...anything he can find and tries to eat them. Again he takes no notice when we say NO...Bad boy etc and thinks its a silly game!

It seems when he is good, he's very very good and when he is bad..well he's a little devil

If any one has any advice on how to treat his mad behaviour, it would be appreciated.
Wild storm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Maybe leaving the room when he starts misbehaving might help i think? then return when he behaves
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Bones68 View Post
Hi,

We have a collie/springer spaniel cross puppy who we brought home just over a week ago. He is 9.5 weeks old at the moment.

Generally he is very well behaved, but occasionally he goes into manic mad puppy mode and we can't control him or calm him down. When he is like this, he runs around like crazy and constantly jumps up trying to nip. We have tried ignoring him, shouting NO etc but he just ignores us and carries on with his mad spree.

Another thing we are having difficulty with is when he is in the garden, he keeps picking up stones, bark, twigs...anything he can find and tries to eat them. Again he takes no notice when we say NO...Bad boy etc and thinks its a silly game!

It seems when he is good, he's very very good and when he is bad..well he's a little devil

If any one has any advice on how to treat his mad behaviour, it would be appreciated.
Sounds like he has oodles of energy to expend. Try engaging in the game with him rather than letting him find his own entertainment.
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Definitely sounds like he has energy to burn. If he is already getting his limit of physical exercise, another way to deal with his hyper times might be to try focus that energy into training before it develops into the running around and nipping. Try to pick up his signals though, as you'll get better focus if he is eager, but not over-excited.

Do you clicker train him at all? By using positive reward based training methods it makes training really engaging for the pup, helps develop your bond, and gives them the mental stimulation they require. 10 - 15 minute sessions even just once or twice a day and you could soon see the benefits. Reward with small treats during your session, then perhaps with a game as the big reward at the end of the session.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Bones68 View Post
Hi,

Hi Bones these are commonly called zoomies or mad moments and are normal puppy behaviour.
It is best to ignore him at these times rather than rewarding with attention, this means no word no eye contact. Shouting will just add to the level of excitement.

..absolutely normal behaviour for a puppy, they need to chew, it is how they explore the world
It is a good idea to teach him to 'leave' objects. Until he has learnt this when he picks up something you don't want him to chew distract him with something he is allowed to chew like a toy or suitable object .

He is just being a normal puppy and he isn't bad
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-02-2013, 11:54 PM
Post 5 continued ...
This is how to teach leave it as described very well by our own 'Shadowboxer'

Quote:
Place a low value treat like a bit of bread in your closed hand and allow your puppy to sniff and explore it (the treat can't be taken because your fingers are wrapped around it) . As soon as the puppy sniffs it say 'leave' but say this only once. The puppy may continue to sniff and get at the treat but ignore it until it either looks at you or moves its head fractionally away from the treat. The moment it does say 'good leave' and treat with a higher value treat than the one in your closed hand (like a piece of kibble ). Do this 3-4 times in one session. Repeat once or twice a day until the dog automatically turns his head away from what is offered. You then up the value of the offered food (to kibble) , but make sure that the reward is also upped (like cheese or chicken).
Teaching drop it ...
A helpful video originally posted by Wysiwyg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItvPnaYUZeo
Bones68
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the advice,

Minihaha, I think you are spot in, shouting at him to stop seems to make him worse. We will definitly try ignoring him now instead. You have given some great advice thanks.

Also after talking to hubby last night, I don't think he has been playing with him enough to use up his energy while I have been out at work. So hubby has been instructed to play with him in the garden with his ball to get him running around more.

Pep_sounds, we don't clicker train him, I have just been using training treats but find his level of concentration is very poor. I may look into the clicker method.

He is overall a very good boy, I just want to be able to control his "zoomie" moments as over the next few weeks he is going to be introduced to family and friends and I don't want him jumping and nipping especially at children.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Puppies get the zoomies and extra bitey when they are overtired. From what you describe it is all perfectly normal puppy behaviour and the pup may benefit from some time outs in a crate.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2013, 05:58 PM
The problem is I don't think it is humanly possible to use up puppies' energy! Zoomies are fantastic (just discovered the word) - I love watching my dog get the zoomies - but of course it's not funny when they're jumping up and biting (which mine does too) and mine is a 2 year old staffie boxer cross so not funny at all to get bitten. I think this is a good time to invent games to play with him.

The other thing that occurred to me is that as you've only had him one week do you think the zoomies are his way of expending some of his "anxious" energy? I didn't think my dog had an ounce of anxiety in him but working with a behaviourist I've really begun to detect it. My one gives a thorough body shake (like he's soaking wet) when I've turned him around from coming face to face with another dog.

Your puppy might just be feeling a little anxious and the zoomies are his method of stress relief which will pass as he becomes more settled.

Good luck with the lad
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2013, 06:02 PM
I think they all have what I call their mad five minute spells. All mine have. Bella would suddenly take off at about 100mph going so fast she looked like a blur and bashing into things and worrying me that she would crash into the verandah wall outside and really hurt herself. Now she only does it when showing off to other dogs or if we encourage her by stamping our feet on the floor (bad us!)

A lot of cats as well do this crazy 5min thing!