View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ste71
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-10-2014, 11:12 AM

Can i give my border collie a very a quarter of a paracetamol?

.. she is 15 kilos, border collie. she is 16 soon and showing signs of canine cognitive dysfunction. yesterday (friday) she very gently bumped into a wheelie bin and went nuts yelping and trying to bite me but the strange thing was she bumped it on her right side but is now limping on her left which leads me to the canine cognitive dysfunction diagnosis, personal diagnosis (im not a vet but experienced with dogs)
so i wont be able to get a vet appointment 'til probably midweek so am wondering if i could give her a quarter of a 500mg paracetamol. she basically cant walk and i am having to carry her everywhere. there s no way she can live like this, i have seen my last collie cross female, also 16, suffering from first a mini dog stroke then canine cognitive dysfunction but in this case with isla it has came on very very fast. she has went downhill very quickly. a matter of days although the senility signs were there for about say the last year. im pretty sure the vet will say to put her to sleep to be honest. bummer. i just need to ease her pan a wee bit so as i can take out for toilet duties.
thanks all for any replies, this is a great site, dont know how ive never came across it before.
cheers.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Answer in one word No-contact your vet before giving any human medication to a dog
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Definitely don't give paracetamol! Why can't you get to the vet until midweek? It sounds like your poor dog needs to be seen ASAP ... ie now!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2014, 08:14 PM
You need the vet now not later. Bless her, she's an old lady and she is obviously in distress.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2014, 07:14 AM
Ordinarily when dogs are in pain they sleep and sleep and sleep. If she is doing this, just let her ... no walks or anything and hand feed her whilst she is laid down. Poor old thing ... it is so awful seeing our dogs in pain.

I really feel for you - tough days ahead.

Incidentally when I lost my last dog I phoned the vet on boxing day at 8.30am and by 9.15am it was all over. *gosh still brings a horrible lump to my throat.
ste71
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-10-2014, 12:43 PM
thanks for the replies folks. unfortunately i do not have a vet as such. i can only use the free PDSA service as im not working. if anyone is wonderng she and the other lovely collie cross were dumped on me when my sister, whose both dogs they were, married a foreign guy (a muslim) who hates dogs. they were her dogs but she left and i ended up looking after them. we have an appointment for monday. i have a lot of support from neighbours and other dog walkers though which is VERY helpful. ive just been carrying her out to the back green for toilets and kind of spoiling her.
to be honest my self righteous sister just dumped them on me and i have my own problems but would never ever see any animal in distress or in a sad / bad way when in need. things improved for her when i took over her life anyway. luckily, as i said, my neighbours are dog lovers and help me out.
i understand biology and chemistry quite a lot and gave her one eighth of a paracetamol which helped a wee bit but that was a "one off"as i know paracetamol is quite bad for liver and stomach.
sorry about the slightly garbled message im quite upset.
thank you all.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Steven, do the PDSA not have an emergency number you can call?
ste71
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-10-2014, 10:15 AM
hiya guys. thanks for your very helpful and positive posts! we are taking her through to glasgow at 2pm. she seems to be getting a wee bit better. i think its psychological. just my opinion but of course she wll be getting the best treatment from the fine charity that is the british PDSA. thanks agin folks, really nice people on these forums!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Fingers crossed for her(( hugs))
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2014, 02:45 PM
That is Tylenol and can be poisonous to dogs. Use baby aspirin instead.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >