Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2014, 08:59 AM

Cetirizine hydrochloride and metacam

Is it safe to give my dog both cetirizine hydrochloride and metacam? If not how much of a gap does he need?

I can't call the vet, they don't open yet but if I don't get any solid answers (ideally with back up studies for it being safe) then I shall wait and call them.

He's woke up very stiff and sore, struggling to get up and down the steps, not wanting to move or walk around. Not willing to go for a walk this morning, but seems fine while laid down.

Thanks
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Hi SJ, I have no idea, probably safe but I wouldn't give it without asking a vet.
Good luck.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Called the vets, they said it was perfectly fine.
But he's taken a bit of a turn for the worse, won't eat, so I can't get either medication into him, and has put himself in the bathroom (only room he doesn't normally go in) which is the coldest room in the house, laid shivering. Really stiff moving and his stomach has gone hard. Setting off now to the vets, hopefully it is nothing but I get so worried.
I'll update when I get back.
Thanks for your reply Nippy
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Good luck at the vets - I will be thinking of you both. (((hugs)))
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Oh dear I shall look forward to seeing your update.
I hope all is well.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2014, 04:21 PM
The vet was a locum, the usual vets are on holiday (husband and wife vets). The locum was lovely.
She spent over 30 mins with us, no rushing, finding out about how he usually is, wanting to know what he did, ate and acted like yesterday and if he has been like this before. This isn't something unusual for Cookie, which I why I just wanted to give him some metacam this morning.
With his history she wanted to take things cautiously, he has a slight temperature but still below 40 so I'm not too worried. She gave him a metacam jab (since he wouldn't eat) and he can have a full dose that way as it won't upset his stomach.
She was going to give him an antibiotic that would be in his system for 3 days, but then changed her mind. She gave him one that would last 24 hours, and wants us to go back tomorrow morning, to make sure he is more comfortable and that his temp has come down.... Couldn't believe it, inviting us back on a Sunday! When she doesn't work Sundays, she has advised to keep a close eye on him and given up details to contact her tonight but warned us that the vets isn't actually open but she will happily see him but may have to pass him on to the other vets out of hours service. This is a new thing the practice has just brought in.

She was tempted to do an x-ray to make sure nothing more sinister is going on, but I'm not at the point of thinking we need one yet, and don't want to knock a poorly dog out just because he's recently had cancer.

Sorry it's so long, but wanted to post everything. She really was so kind and lovely and even though Cookie was feeling shocking he kept wagging his tail for her, even when she took his temperature. She was amazed how well he took the needles, but again he's so used to them (with his immunotherapy).

I'm thinking of taking her a box of chocs in the morning, to say thank you for caring so much.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2014, 07:45 PM
awww i do hope he feels a lot better tomorrow, i bet you have been worried sick
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Thanks for your replies. Took him back this morning, his temperature has gone back to within normal range, his appetite is back and while he isn't 100% he's happy enough to play and want to be fussed.
She was lovely again, gave him another shot of antibiotics just to be safe and said that she couldn't give him another shot of metacam yet because it hasn't been 24 hours since his last one. She did suggest that if I thought he needed some more than I could ring her after 1pm (so it would be 24 hours) and she would meet me at the vets again to give him more. Or that even if he's fine this afternoon I can take him in tomorrow for more if I think he needs it.
So very very kind and helpful. She made such a big fuss of him and spent time actually talking to him. I'm an eccentric owner so I love that sort of thing and Cookie will happy soak up any attention.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-10-2014, 05:56 PM
I am so pleased to hear that Cookie's temperature is normal now and that he is eating and wanting to play.

The vet sounds like a really nice person as well as being a good vet. It makes such a difference when vets talk to your dog instead of just talking to you and doing whatever is necessary to your pet.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2014, 07:55 PM
I would say so and woud give it together if it was my dog, they are separate drugs and have not cautions in BNF for Cetirizine hydrochloride (I know thats for people).
ATD x