View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Jess everytime you come back on here you manage to shock me more and more....we have the use of the ecollar...we have the not immunising a pup at all and taking it to your training classes and walking for 5 hours up a mountain...but now...this is really a new low.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Ramble, you forgot raw feeding, I raw feed.

I am sorry to have bothered you. I will ask Azz to remove my account and this thread.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
If possible, it would be interesting to talk about the original purpose of the thread, which is about raising the awareness to breeders, which I am under the impression is little known, that they are able to start physical and neurological manipluation from a young age, which can prove to have a positive outcome, preventing problems in the adult dog (which would of course put me out of business!!!)
So you believe that breeders have no awareness of this at all? I beg to differ, there are those who wont care as they breed for money and nothing you do will change that. Those that make the effort will be raising their puppies (and pregnant bitches) in ways to enable them to become social well adjusted dogs already. They certainly don't need information from someone breeding from a rescue collie!
I also find it a tad convenient that the bitch is a collie as is your dog so they will be pure bred!
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 11:30 AM
don't go on my account Jess....maybe others will think what you've done is ok.

I have no problem with you raw feeding...thats your choice...

You can't possibly think that what you have done to this bitch is okay though?????
Is this through your new Scottish Border Collie Rescue????
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-05-2009, 11:31 AM
A border collie foster dog of mine was picked up late at night, in the latter days of her season (I was not told or aware) and in the morning she was tied to my border collie resident. She had severe seperation problems at at only a year and a half had already had, and destroyed, 3 homes. After lengthy discussions we decided not to abort, as it might be calming for her (different hormones etc) and this has proved true, although in the past two months she has been a very different dog with me anyway (and is happily left without injury to herself (she self harmed) or my house).

Jess I am sorry but it does not sound as though the bitch with an unplanned mating has a suitable temperament to be bred from and I would be surprised if she had received the appropriate health tests for her breed even if your dog had. Having a litter to 'calm a bitch' is a fallacy ,in fact if a bitch 'needs calming' at all she shouldn't be being bred from anyway.

You are not some first time owner with no knowledge of dogs but someone who is a trainer of dogs and deals with the rescue and rehabilitation of dogs, surely it is up to you set an example.

Sorry is this sounds like a lecture but many people read this forum including those looking for advice and information on an unplanned mating and to say anything other than this would also be irresponsible .
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 11:39 AM
I feel quite upset that you have called my dog 'neurotic', I meet very few neurotic dogs, in fact it is people who have made them that way.

If it is a fallacy that females won't calm down, then perhaps some behaviourists should be told. I come from a science background, I ask questions. In this case, there has been a positive outcome for the bitch who is very much not neurotic (and she has a home) and it will be interesting to see how the pups develop. I feel I have the time and knoweldge to do this, yes it is a project, yes you may have a problem with that, HOWEVER before ripping into that, ask yourselves how many dogs have been tested on in the name of science and what happened to them... all my young dogs will be placed in the best of homes, who are enthusiastic as myself about their development.

Border Collie Scotland is run by a close friend of mine in Perthshire.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
I feel quite upset that you have called my dog 'neurotic', I meet very few neurotic dogs, in fact it is people who have made them that way.

If it is a fallacy that females won't calm down, then perhaps some behaviourists should be told. I come from a science background, I ask questions. In this case, there has been a positive outcome for the bitch (and she has a home) and it will be interesting to see how the pups develop. I feel I have the time and knoweldge to do this, yes it is a project, yes you may have a problem with that, HOWEVER before ripping into that, ask yourselves how many dogs have been tested on in the name of science and what happened to them... all my young dogs will be placed in the best of homes, who are enthusiastic as myself about their development.

Border Collie Scotland is run by a close friend of mine in Perthshire.
Jess...you only got this girl the day she was mated to your dog. You cannot possibly know her temperament yet...infact her true temperament will only show once her pups have left her and she has had a couple of months in a new, forever home. Her real temeperament will not show during pregnancy as she is new to you and is undergoing massive changes...nor will it show to you when she is nursing the pups. She is a rescue and you don't know her properly before she is pregnant and giving birth.

You can try to justify this to yourself Jess...go right ahead...but in my opinion, what you have done in the name of rescue is wrong. Instead of having one young bitch to rehome, you have her...plus her pups....who would not have even been in this world were it not for YOUR mistake. As a result there are other rescue pups that will be missing out on a home.
I can't believe for one moment that you think what you have done is a good thing Jess???
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 11:46 AM
You are right Ramble, thanks for your input.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 11:47 AM
How can you claim to have the knowledge when you can't tell if a bitch is in season or not! The more you mention the more I think this has been done deliberately in the name of 'research' to further your own knowledge when you claim you didn't even know whether she was in season or not.
Yes dogs are used in science but as people breed every day the information you seek could have been gleened from those sources rather than having a litter of your own. And you cannot form sound scientific basis on just one litter!
Becky
banji
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
It sounds like you are using her and this situation as an 'interesting experiment' when you could gain just as much info by asking those people who breed in any event rather than mating a rescue bitch. I'm also surprised that you are unable to check to see whether a bitch is in season or not.
Research as shown that neurotic bitches tend to bring up neurotic pups so if she has issues then so will her puppies as they will pick up on the subtle behaviours, pheromones etc that we simply don't notice.
Whilst some people may not know or make mistakes this can hardly be said of you!
Becky

if this interseting experiment, as you put it, gives people knowledge and the dog is helped by it also then it can only be good for dogs.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »