Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scouser
New Member!
Male 

11-02-2011, 11:33 AM
I have used eukanuba, hills and jwbl.
i think that the eukanuba and jwbl with the hills r the best and would not use ne others. [mod edit]
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by scouser View Post
I have used eukanuba, hills and jwbl.
i think that the eukanuba and jwbl with the hills r the best and would not use ne others
Although the price of Eukanuba would suggest it's a premium pet food, the ingredients unfortunately say otherwise. Taking a look at one of the adult varieties for example -
Ingredients
Chicken (>24%), maize, wheat, animal fat, sorghum, barley, poultry meal, dried beet pulp, chicken digest, dried whole egg, brewer's dried yeast, potassium chloride, salt, sodium hexametaphosphate, fish oil, linseed, DL-methionine. [for < 10 kg] Contains EC permitted antioxidants. [for >= 10 kg] Contains EC permitted antioxidants: tocopherols.

"Chicken" for example, is sneaky wording. A chicken can be up to 60% water - and by wording it this way, Eukanuba can list it as their main ingredient, because in its raw state it does outweigh the maize, wheat, etc. However, what they don't tell you is that it will then be dehydrated in the manufacturing process - so that 24% could drop quite significantly by the time the food reaches the bag!
So, accounting for that, maize and wheat are your main ingredients - and manufacturers love this because grains are cheap and bulky. Would you go down to a farm shop and buy your dog a bag of corn and a bag of wheat for its dinner? Because you're basically doing that, but with a premium kibble price tag attached. Maize/corn is especially known to be a hard to digest grain for many dogs - so it fills them up without actually providing much nutritional value as they can't digest it all that well. It's also often a common culprit in allergies.
Pet food labels can be hard to read honestly because companies do try to make their foods sound the best. This is American based I think but worth a look - [mod edit/link removed]
Fennoir
New Member!
Female 

11-02-2011, 12:20 PM
I have ordered a small bag of the Orijen Adult to see how we get on with it, it actually works out about the same cost as the J/D.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Same cost, much higher quality ingredients, no comparison in my opinion. Good Luck!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2