Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2007, 09:56 PM

Travel Sickness

Hi Guys,

Archie is a highly strung character. He suffers from travel sickness. A trip to the bach from home takes about half an hour, he usually throws up within the last 5min of the journey.

He's not too happy when travelling, licking his lips and sometimes panting, more so when Willow isn't with him.

His last owner used to travel him in a travel box in the boot of the car. I travel them in the footwell at my feet. (Needless to say I'm in the passenger seat and not drving! )

I've tried scullcap & valerian tablets for him, but they make no difference. If I know that I'm taking them in the car, I fast him that day. This stops him physically throwing up, but it's clear to see he's still not feeling to well about the whole trip. And is often the case that it's a last minute decision by my parents (who drive) to take us a run out somewhere nice.

It's such a shame that Archie has to miss out on these trips all the time. Since he's small it means he could travel on my knee on buses etc for days away as well, but I couldn't chance it ending up with an ill dog and unhappy passengers on a long bus journey!

Any suggestions please?
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2007, 11:30 PM
he's stressed out at being in the car. take him on short journeys every day, (about 10 mins). gradually build up the journey times, and keep reasuring him as you travel. we had a lot of this when smeags was a puppy, i took her down the park every morning, about 1/2 mile, and she was sick evey time, it took months to get her over it. she's OK now, just persevere and he'll be fine.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Problem is, I don't have a car and don't drive.
It's my parents that take us out sometimes in their car and tbh, I don't think they'd be up for taking him out to often unless we are going somewhere.

He gets runs around town. Down to the park and over to pet shops occasionally; as well as trips to my parents house. These he does fine on, anything beyond 10/15min he almost starts turning green.
trace1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-06-2007, 11:49 PM
did he have trouble when he was in the travel box or did his last owners not say ????
was thinking that if he ok in the box maybe thats the way the go.
i'm lucky as both our dogs travel for 2hours + with no problem
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2007, 12:08 AM
He vomited with her as well. I had hoped that not being in the box would help, but it hasn't.
trace1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2007, 12:16 AM
sh*t lol.
have you tried putting him on the back seat with the window open. i know i'm probally coming up with the obvious things here but anything is worth a try.
or can you give dogs ginger cos i'm sure thats really suppose to work on humans, but not sure if you can give it to dogs
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
He vomited with her as well. I had hoped that not being in the box would help, but it hasn't.
you could try travel-sick pills from the vet, but they're only sedatives, as i said, he's stressed out, the pills will make him drousy !!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2007, 12:32 AM
It could be worth trying Valerian Compound rather than the tablets. The compound is a liquid so takes effect quickly as opposed to the tablets which really need to be built up in the system so I doubt an occasional dose of the tablets would really help very much [ usual disclaimer when suggesting a remedy applies but you have already used the tablets so you know he`s ok with Valerian ]
Usually I would have suggested something similar to Nero`s suggestion but with time spent desensitising without the car being started and working up gradually but that is`nt applicable for you as you dont have regular access to a car
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
It could be worth trying Valerian Compound rather than the tablets. The compound is a liquid so takes effect quickly as opposed to the tablets which really need to be built up in the system so I doubt an occasional dose of the tablets would really help very much [ usual disclaimer when suggesting a remedy applies but you have already used the tablets so you know he`s ok with Valerian ]
Usually I would have suggested something similar to Nero`s suggestion but with time spent desensitising without the car being started and working up gradually but that is`nt applicable for you as you dont have regular access to a car
good point, patch. i used to park the car at the back of the house and leave all the doors open so she could go in the car if she wanted to.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2007, 07:06 AM
my little girl used to be like that, i used the dap spray put it on blanket and lay in the foot well, if you now you will be going out spray on bedding at how so it starts to work before you go out. i used this for about 2mths with my little girl and now she travels really well. hoe tha helps hun good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >