Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2007, 10:14 PM

On lead Walking (5 1/2 month old NI)

I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice...

My problem is Noah... 5 1/2 month old male NI. For the past few weeks when we go out lead walking... he whines and cries continuously. This is far worse if a lot of people are around... and fever pitch if there are other dogs around, when he also starts spinning about in the air and barking. This seemed to stem from an incident, when another dog tried to attack him and our older NI. In the confusion, his lead was dropped and he ran. It took us around 15 mins to find him.

The crying and whining seems fearful... as with the incessant barking at other dogs... but i`m not sure how to help him... I don`t want to offer him comfort, as i understand this is praising him for this behaviour... i also don`t want to tell him off. It`s getting to the point where i don`t want to take him out in big crowds... as it`s sooo embarrassing, with all the fuss he makes.

Thanks, Janie
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Hi Janie it would seem Noah now associates going for walks with unpleasant experiences. I would start again as with a small puppy only taking him for short walks when there are few people or dogs around. Go armed with treats in your pocket and lots of praise given in a cheerful voice when he is walking quietly, this may help to build Noaha's confidence . Taking a toy for distraction if Noah likes toys may help too .
It is important to take things gradually and at Noahs pace, getting cross with him will only make him more fearful. It will take time and patience if he is to overcome his fear .

This article on nervous dogs by Shadowboxer may help, also a thread on a similar topic ..

(Will just add the recommended lead walking time for a 5 and a half months old (5x5 ) is only 25 minutes a day anyway so this could be split into three short walks maybe one early morning one late evening when it is quiet if you can manage it until things improve)

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8050

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=67922
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Good advice from Mini there

Wys
x
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 09:44 AM
I dont have any other advice to offer but i hope you manage to help him to walk properly. Let us now how you get on x
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Don't be put off, be patient and it will come - good advise given already - good luck x
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 09:06 PM
thank you so much for the advice... i took him out on his own today... never done that before. Even though he was still a little fretful... he didn`t make a sound. Why would it be that it`s when he walks with the other two... he`s sooo much worse?
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Brill!! I had to walk mine seperately for a while as Archie became aggressive for a while towards other dogs, and then Harvey would join in, now he has reverted back to the placid little fella i knew May it continue x
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Maybe he is worring about the other dogs being attacked and is trying to warn them or protect them - just a thought. Could you set him up to meet some friendly dogs on walks to build his confidence.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by janie View Post
thank you so much for the advice... i took him out on his own today... never done that before. Even though he was still a little fretful... he didn`t make a sound. Why would it be that it`s when he walks with the other two... he`s sooo much worse?
I'm not sure but it seems to me with my two that any behaviour is always hightend when the two are together and much more subtle when they are on their own. More so with Takoda as he is more influenced.

It could be as simple as feeding off the other dogs energy, even if the other dogs have got good energy, because of his own feelings you are getting the over reaction but on his own when he doesn't have the added energy he is more subtle.

Takoda has gone through similar.

Good luck with Noah