Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Justina90
New Member!
Female 

13-03-2016, 01:41 PM

Patterdale terrier tail chasing

Hi, I am new to this forum and looking for some advice. I have a 1 year old female patterdale x jack russell called phoebe, we have had her since she was just over 8 weeks old. From quite young she has always chased her tail but she stopped doing it as much, now she will do it when we have visitors or if I take her to my parents house (they have 2 dogs) but recently she has started to do it when she goes into my children's bedroom and only in this room, she will get her tail and bite it so hard it makes her whine her tail gets soaking wet and she gets very hot and starts panting, she has also made her tail bleed several times. Does anyone have any advice as to why she does it this bad or how to stop it?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-03-2016, 02:12 PM
Tell her to stop it just like any unwanted behaviour, tell her to do something else. My Staffie does it from time to time but stops when told and given something else to do.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2016, 02:57 PM
You could always put a word to it when she does it so that she only does it on command. That sometimes helps. Bit like teaching a dog to bark when asked to.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2016, 03:15 PM
She could be bored or seeking attention. Or worried by the presence of visitors, or your parents dogs.

You could stop her from going to the childrens' bedroom. You could give her a stuffed Kong when visitors come.

When you take her to your parents house try to see what sets her off and redirect her, preferably before she starts.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2016, 06:54 PM
Excitement
Stress
Learned habit

If stress related, you need to get to the cause before there's any hope of starting to change the behaviour.

If it's excitement related, try teaching her some exercises that will aid her self-control - stay, leave it ...

Habit - how did you react to her tail chasing when younger - did she get a laugh or attention when she did it? What happens when you ignore/walk away when she does it?

Watch carefully. Is there a sign that the behaviour is going to start? If there is, distract at that point and give her something else to do each and every time. A game, some training, anything to get her attention off the tail spinning and onto a more enjoyable activity until the habit is broken
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Tail chasing is often a sign of stress. I would look at finding the cause for the behaviour and if it is stress related then you may need to employ the services of a reputable behaviourist to help you conquer it.

Does she get plenty of exercise, mental stimulation, and play? She may use chasing her tail as a way to relieve boredom.

I agree with Chris, that you really need to understand why she is displaying this behaviour before you can hope to cure her of it.