Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 02:49 PM

Maximum Number of Litters?

Interesting to see that the KC are introducing maximum number of litters in various breeds as recommendations in their accredited breeder scheme.

Do you think the KC should set a forced maximum rather than purely making it a recommendation and if so, what should that maximum be (or does it depend on the breed)?

What are the justifications for having more than one or two litters and are there any circumstances where having as many as 6 litters from one bitch would be acceptable to you?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 02:55 PM
I think its a good idea as the accredited breeder scheme should mean something which at the min it really doesnt. I think 3 litters should be the max for any breeds that dont have any birthing problems. For some breeds such as the bull dog were there are often complications i would only want to put my bitch through that once.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 03:09 PM
6 Litters sound too many, personally, as someone who doesn't or will never breed, 1 or 2 seem okay, if done correctly. But, 6 sounds way too much.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 04:06 PM
I don't see any justification for breeding from a bitch 6 times. That screams of puppy farm breeding practices. To get 6 litters out of a bitch you'd either have to breed on back-to-back seasons, so two litters a year, or assuming the bitch was 2 years old on the first breeding have a litter every year until the bitch was 8 (too old).

IMO the maximum should be 3 litters.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I think its a good idea as the accredited breeder scheme should mean something which at the min it really doesnt. I think 3 litters should be the max for any breeds that dont have any birthing problems. For some breeds such as the bull dog were there are often complications i would only want to put my bitch through that once.
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
6 Litters sound too many, personally, as someone who doesn't or will never breed, 1 or 2 seem okay, if done correctly. But, 6 sounds way too much.
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I don't see any justification for breeding from a bitch 6 times. That screams of puppy farm breeding practices. To get 6 litters out of a bitch you'd either have to breed on back-to-back seasons, so two litters a year, or assuming the bitch was 2 years old on the first breeding have a litter every year until the bitch was 8 (too old).

IMO the maximum should be 3 litters.
Thanks all that's my gut reaction as well that - 6 is way too many, but I have no experience with regard to breeding - trying to carry on lines etc. etc.

I'm interested to see whether anyone (breeders in particular) believes it is ever acceptable to have so many from one bitch and if so - under what circumstances.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 04:43 PM
6 is far to many in my views to, I wouldnt take anymore than 3 litters from a girl..with any breed..Although 2 sounds a fair amount.

Like said 8 is to old to still be having litters, I wouldnt take a first litter after the age of 4..no younger than 18months (in my breed, 2years plus in others) and none past the age of 5 possibly 6.

There is no reason why any breeder would need 6 litters out the same dog, and i also would love to hear why its done..for what reason
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2010, 10:34 AM
6 litters is far too many imo most breeders i know never breed a bitch more than twice.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Ok, so just a thought, why only limit the number of litters a bitch can have - why not also put a limit on the number of times a dog can be used?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
6 is far to many in my views to, I wouldnt take anymore than 3 litters from a girl..with any breed..Although 2 sounds a fair amount.

Like said 8 is to old to still be having litters, I wouldnt take a first litter after the age of 4..no younger than 18months (in my breed, 2years plus in others) and none past the age of 5 possibly 6.

There is no reason why any breeder would need 6 litters out the same dog, and i also would love to hear why its done..for what reason
What she said
Agree too about the stud dog,as this can cause problems too.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2010, 01:33 PM
What I think the restrictions should be:

Bitches - from an outstanding bitch two, three at the absolute maximum, just coz she can be breed more doesn't mean she should be.

Dogs - not sure but it should be limeted, I read concerns from Betty Smith and Karen Bicknell from the Hungarian Visla Club, for a breed who each year there is around 1000 dogs registered, before his crufts win Yogi had already sired over 500 pups, no matter how great a sire is thats too many IMO, and I wonder what the effect of this would be in a few years?

Breeders - depending on quality and quanity of dogs they have two - three litters a year, too many litters the ability to provide support to owners, being able to take back any pups etc may be hampered, quality is because they should only breed from dogs that are top quality for their breed, quanity if they only have a few brood bitches then they shouldn't be breeding each one every year, if they have more brood bitches they should still be aware of what impact they have on dogs.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >