View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 11:38 AM
I would pop her down to the vets, they could give her a jag to stop the pregnancy or give advice on spaying her now.

I really dont think you should have this litter, if you do decided to breed in the future then do all the homework first.

as to finding a breeder, where did you buy your dogs, its possible the person that bred yours may be able to give you advice,

I think you should sit down now and decide if your going forward with this or going to end this pregnancy now.

What age is your bitch?
gemsoph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I still have the previous owners number so i could give her a call, i am very concerned with what everyone has said so i really dont no what to do as she may not be pregnant. My bitch was 2 this month.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm assuming that you don't have a list of people waiting for a pup from you, have both sire and dam been health tested? If not, then I think you are going to really struggle if your bitch is pregnant.

I personally would ring your vet and find out what their system is for terminating unwanted pregnancies...some vets will give you the injection to prevent pups, another may suggest you wait a few weeks then have her in to spey and remove any pups.

It really is a sorry state of affairs and I hope you don't think we are getting at you, we want to help you but, more importantly we want to help your bitch...I can't get the thought of the stud dog trying his hardest all weekend out of my mind...not a good thing for him or her
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by gemsoph View Post
i am very concerned with what everyone has said so i really dont no what to do as she may not be pregnant. My bitch was 2 this month.

As a breeder, IM telling you, if there was a tie, then your bitch will be pregnant, the only way she will not be is if your dog is infertile or she has problems, which is a small chance,

TAKE her to the vet, give him/her a call, tell them when the mating happend, they will tell you when to bring her into get the jag.....its all pretty easy,

there you go nothing to be confused about.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2010, 11:50 AM
oh really, die?? I have not been told this by my vet they never said she could die. I am going to get her spayed, the male had been trying all weekend to do it but wasnt succsessful untill yesterday and they got tyed but does this mean she will DEF be pregnant? And how will i no if she is preg?

Lets hope not!

I dont no how much c-sections cost so i dont no if i will have the money for this if anything did go wrong, and i dont no if she will be pregnant, how soon can i tell?
In about 5wks

And i can get her spayed now? even if she could get pregnant from this mating?

Yes you can, the vet will do her now , or you can get the morning after jab, to stop the pregnancy now, and get her spayed in a couple of mths
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2010, 11:52 AM
I agree with the other posters too.

If you decide to allow your dog to have the puppies, and if all runs smoothly, you will then be faced with the task of finding responsible, knowledgeable forever homes for the pups. Homes where they will not be bred from. Homes where they will not give up when the pup chews their shoes, or worse.

I am really sorry to say this but it is very likely that some of the pups, somewhere down the line will end up in rescue. Even if you do manage to find good homes for the little ones, I am sure some of those pups will be bred from too.

You really need to think very carefully indeed about what you are doing. The best possible thing you can do for your dog is to get her spayed, if not then you need to learn fast about breeding dogs, and make sure that you have enough money put aside for any eventualities.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Maybe you should read this story,
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-22195777/
A family yesterday claimed their dog was put down by a vet because they could not afford a £1,200 operation.

Parents Andrew and Lisa Geddes took Staffordshire bull terrier Coco for treatment as she struggled to give birth to puppies.

The couple claim they were told a consultation would be £39 but after the pet was examined they were informed a caesarian op was needed costing at least £1,240.
I'm afraid I agree with the others,I think you need to think about this seriously and the risks that go with breeding.
gemsoph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I dont no about breeding so i have no experience. I also have 2 young children, i just happened to visit my parents over the weekend who also have a bullmastiff and this happened he wouldnt leave her alone and i only noticed her bleeding today and then realised she is on heat as it was 6 months ago when she was last in season.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 12:02 PM
In that case, i would think it is better all round to get her speyed asap.

In 6 months time, it could all happen again if you dont.....
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 12:17 PM
The time and effort that goes into responsible breeding is emense, not to mention the costs.
I think most of what needs saying has been said by other, I'll just a few points
1) What happens if you can't sell the pups do you have room and money to keep them and feed them.
2) What happens if you sell one and the new owners give it back, again could you cope.
3) Do you have facilities and room to whelp the pups, you'll need a secure area away from the rest of the family and the children.
4) The cost of looking after a bitch in whelp and rearing the pups can be astronomical for example my girls go on puppy food as soon as there mated and by the time there 4 weeks in whelp there fed 4 times a day, and get a few dietary suppliments. Then you have to feed and worm the pups it costs me on average about £300 just to feed and worm the pups and then there's the vet checks which is about £50 a pup.
Also looking at the KC website they suffer from a number of heriditary diseases including hip displacia and eye problems and need a few heath checks before they should be bred (this includes the dam and the sire). The general public are getting wiser and are asking to see proof of the tests before they will purchase a puppy so you might struggle to sell them.
Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »