Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Induction hobs

Does anyone use an induction hob, and if so can they please give me some advice as the meager instructions that came with mine are in Ivrit and even when translated just do not make sense. Nor do the suppliers have much idea about them either, as induction hobs are a very new thing here.

Temperatures appear to go from 80°C - 260°C with wattage 400w - 1800w but that is as far as I have been able to translate, but even 80°C seems rather high for simmer to me.

Any and all advice will be gratefully received as I cannot use my gas hob in the summer.

TIA
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2012, 10:42 PM
I've got one made by AEG. The handbook doesn't give any guide to temperatures but I can have them on low (number 1) or high (number 9). The smallest hob at the back is 1400w, the other is 1800w. The front 2 hobs go higher than 9 which is P (something like high power) which brings liquid up to boil very quick, otherwise the bigger hob is 2200w and the other is 1800w (3000w & 2300w with P).

The other thing is I have to use special pots and pans as not all will conduct the heat. When a pan is taken off the display shows H (residual heat) and disappears when hob is turned off. If an unsuitable pot is used or nothing is on the hob when it is turned on an F is displayed.

The guide in the handbook gives heat setting 1-2 for melting, 2-3 for simmering, 3-4 steaming/stewing, 4-5 boil, 6-7 gentle frying, 7-9 heavy browning and 9/P quick heating up.

Overall they're a lot quicker than gas and very easy to clean.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 01:31 AM
Malka most appliance operating instructions are now available on the web if you've got the make and model number.

I frequently have to look stuff up if all instructions are in Greek.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-06-2012, 05:11 AM
Originally Posted by twix View Post
I've got one made by AEG. The handbook doesn't give any guide to temperatures but I can have them on low (number 1) or high (number 9). The smallest hob at the back is 1400w, the other is 1800w. The front 2 hobs go higher than 9 which is P (something like high power) which brings liquid up to boil very quick, otherwise the bigger hob is 2200w and the other is 1800w (3000w & 2300w with P).

The other thing is I have to use special pots and pans as not all will conduct the heat. When a pan is taken off the display shows H (residual heat) and disappears when hob is turned off. If an unsuitable pot is used or nothing is on the hob when it is turned on an F is displayed.

The guide in the handbook gives heat setting 1-2 for melting, 2-3 for simmering, 3-4 steaming/stewing, 4-5 boil, 6-7 gentle frying, 7-9 heavy browning and 9/P quick heating up.

Overall they're a lot quicker than gas and very easy to clean.
I have two single portable induction hobs - the original one just having four touch pads marked translating as "Fire High" / "Fire Medium" / "Grill" / "Soup" and plus and minus touch pads and it is very much a case of pressing one of the four and either the plus or minus touch pad to get what is wanted. There is a little window that shows the temperature but it is very much "press this/that and hope for the best".

Induction hobs are only just becoming available here, and I was delighted when I saw the first single portable one as I cannot use my 3-burner gas hob in the summer unless I close all the windows, as otherwise the gas blows out if it is on anything but the highest flame. Even then it is dangerous to leave anything unattended and simmering is totally out of the question.

The second one, which arrived yesterday, was a bonus with something I had ordered - I just had to pay the equivalent of £5 delivery for it, and at that price I was not going to refuse! The brand name on this one is "Miller" but that is just the name on various small electrical appliances which are mainly loss-leaders for the companies that sent their little catalogues with credit card statements, in the hope that you will join their "club" and pay x amount each month in order to get monthly "gifts" [for which you only have to pay postage blah blah blah].

I have purchased various products with the brand name "Miller" and even though they are all cheapos I have never had any problems with any of them.

This one has a few markings in English and appears to be more logical in the functions, but neither have graduated temperatures, just set ones, and I am not sure whether this is the norm for induction hobs or not.

I already have sufficient cookware for induction cooking - the first hob came with a full set, and many of the pans I already had are fine on it.

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Malka most appliance operating instructions are now available on the web if you've got the make and model number.

I frequently have to look stuff up if all instructions are in Greek.
No make listed and "Miller" is just a generic name for cheapo small electrical appliances. Actually good quality but you have to catch them when they are on offer, dredging through the dross in the little catalogues to find the gold, as it were.

The instructions are in Hebrew, which I can read and understand - the problem is that the instructions are more "plug in and press such-and-such" without actually telling you what you [I] really need to know.