View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2012, 10:22 AM
It could possibly be the case that every dog is different?

So maybe try a few things, and when you find something that grabs her attention, something that makes her stop and think "oops too far" then just work with that?
fjfenton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks Wysiwyg and Smokeybear, I'll take a look at those links.

Originally Posted by BeagleBella View Post
My pup was really bad for biting and nipping, and then when I tried to walk away she would bite any part of me she could get hold of (socks, trousers, cardigans).
what I began doing was yelping, and acting like she really hurt me (holding my 'wound') then instantly got up, and would turn away from her - either look out the window, or just look to the ceiling. After about a minute or so, she would look at me as if to say 'what the hell?' but she finally got it.

Biting has really calmed down now. It might be worth getting some teething gel too, as that really worked for me

Hope you get on ok. xx
This sounds familiar! I have tried 'yelping' but it seems to make her worse...she 'play growls' more (if that makes sense) and seems more determined to grab hold of any bit she can.

Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I redirected Rupert on to a toy when he got bitey. If he refused to redirect I left the room and shut the door behind me for 10-30 seconds. Went back in, repeated as necessary. I'm doing the same with Spencer, he's stopped mouthing me now but still doing it to hubby who insists on playing with him that way I've found yelping can actually get them more worked up and excited and bitey. Both mine have been adolescents rather than young pups though.
fjfenton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by BeagleBella View Post
It could possibly be the case that every dog is different?

So maybe try a few things, and when you find something that grabs her attention, something that makes her stop and think "oops too far" then just work with that?
Yes, you're right, I've got to find what works best with Rosie So I am greatful for all ideas so I can find which suits us best
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Don't forget that often the behaviour can become worse just before it gets better. If it's something that's always worked they'll try just that little bit harder when it suddenly stops working. Kinda like us flicking a light switch several times when it doesn't come on the first time. Most of the time people give up and say something isn't working when this happens.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2