Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Boxer Boy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
Can I throw this one at you ?

I have a Rottie and he is a bundle of love and affection, but when he spots somebody walking past the house or anything strange, he is a One Dog Apocalypse.

John Bull
Sounds to me you have a ticking time bomb on your hands, what are you doing about it ?
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Boxer Boy View Post
Sounds to me you have a ticking time bomb on your hands, what are you doing about it ?
Absolutely nothing. He is perfect, we`ve only had him 3 weeks, the house is new to him and with a regular command of `It`s OK !` he will soon learn to control his enthusiasm.

Never use my burglar alarm now. I could leave £1,000 in notes on my kitchen table and it would still be there when I got home. Full marks to Rotties.

John Bull
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-10-2009, 09:45 AM
There's a thread about aggressive Labs going on (Well revived from the dead, really...) right now in this very section. Sounds like the person that dredged that old thread up is having similar but possibly more severe issues along the lines of the reason for this post. My personal opinion is both cases need strong leadership... I won't say further than that because otherwise it'll lead to all sorts of further off topic 'discussion'....

On the list of breed characteristics thing, I think they're a useful general guide but completely useless when you get to individual dog level. Unless you happen to have a wholly typical of the breed individual, of course. For example. Labs are supposed to be rubbish guard dogs? Our Jake has scared the living daylights out of numerous visitors with his very loud bark. I don't think it's intentional on his part, more a very loud greeting but it would more than deter a burglar I feel.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 10:04 AM
sounds to me like a dog doing his job. I expect the same from my dogs, which is one of the reasons I chose my particular breed.

Don't you have some billy goats to scare off?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by buzzie View Post
Well isn't a junior member a young person?? Also a username does not have to be your name does it? I
just thought he might have left that breed off so we
would bring it up and start world war two for him. JMO

Or maybe his signature is just alot of Bull Sorry Mr. Bull if I have it all wrong.
a junior member has nothing to do with age, its number of posts.

you mentioning it, sounded like you were trying to start world war 3... 2 has already been and finished

Originally Posted by John Bull View Post

Then, all this chat about my name ? John Bull is at least a sensible nom-de-plume, most of the names used are so riduculous, but nobody pokes fun at them.
i was just trying to maybe clear things up, coz it sounded to me that she was trying to start something over your name, and it sounded ridiculous.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Well I don't class a dog guarding it's property as aggressive - Marius sometimes gives voice at strangers passing by.

I guess it changes from being a natural guard, to aggression when it is out of control?

I think Rotties are one of the best natural guard dogs in the world (as are GSD's which I've also owned), but wouldn't agree that they are naturally the most aggressive. Of course, if someone channels these natural instincts in the wrong way, they can become outwardly aggressive and certainly would be a formidable dog to content with if so.

Some of the most highly aggressive dogs I have met in recent years have been breeds that most people would have in their top ten of ideal family pets!!!

I think a lot of breeds who are made out to be aggressive would not be so if given the correct training, socialization, walks and mental stimulus!
i know i'm being lazy

but i agree with this statement 100%
buzzie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I understood the name John Bull to just be a very English' name...that and the picture by the side made me think that the gentleman posting is older rather than younger. He also posted a picture of his wife I think...unless he is a toy boy I think I presumed correctly (although apologies if I didn't).

As for the 'junior' member...that is all to do with the number of posts you have made.Nothing to do with age.

As for aggressive dogs? I do think some breeds do have a predisposition to display aggresion....BECAUSE of poor breeding...SOME breeds in SOME of their lines. It can happy if poor breeding happens in ANY breed IMO. If you put a poorly bred pup with someone who shouldn't go anywhere near a dog...it can be a recipe for disaster in terms of aggression.
Thank you Ramble. As far as the picture of his wife, that is something I had never seen and I did correct myself about what Junior member means but good to bring it up again since it is good to know. Guess I should spend more time here.

I guess the title of the thread got me going and the list he posted was so wierd. Anyway sorry about not knowing he was married and the Junior part anyway. Krusewalker he was not talking about you, it was me. Joan
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 12:43 PM
imo,there is a big difference between 'guarding' and aggression!!.
Boxer Boy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
imo,there is a big difference between 'guarding' and aggression!!.
Of course there is.

John Bull's reference to his dog as a "One Dog Apocalypse" however, depicts a dog out of control, one destined for the front page of the tabloids.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Of course there is.

John Bull's reference to his dog as a "One Dog Apocalypse" however, depicts a dog out of control, one destined for the front page of the tabloids.
true!!!! ......or an impressive guard! lol.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >