View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smifkin
New Member!
Female 

07-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Although saying that you would be surprised at what the best breeders in the country feed their dogs, which is something I am also looking into, and it is much cheaper.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by smifkin View Post
Although saying that you would be surprised at what the best breeders in the country feed their dogs, which is something I am also looking into, and it is much cheaper.
Unfortunately i wouldn't be surpried at all! It depends what you consider as best breeders? The ones who win prizes? The ones who have a high number of puppies, litters and adult dogs? Or some of the great ethical breeders who have the occasional litter and do what is absolutly best for them?
smifkin
New Member!
Female 

07-10-2008, 12:32 PM
I know what your getting at and I agree, one of the biggest bulldog breeders in the country, who does win most of the prizes runs what I call a puppy farm and it's really sad!

What I class as a good breeder is what you suggested, the one I use loves his dogs to death and nothing is too much trouble for him. He occasionally has litters, not very often at all, and all pups are bought before they are born because they know the quality of breeder they have come from. He has been doing this for over 20 years and I always go to him for advise.
Especially with bulldogs it is a shame the way they can be treated by breeders because the pups are worth so much, breeders lose sight (or never had it!!) of what they are supposed to be doing!
BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2008, 12:57 PM
If its for ethical reasons Procter and Gamble don't just test on pet food they test shampoo(herbal essences being one of them) other body products, cleaning products...the list goes on!
Also these are not the only company that test on animals or use animal products from whales,deers etc, i'm afraid most cheap products or products that do not state that they have not been tested probably have.
I'm not preaching, its peoples choice whether they knowingly buy products tested on animals, but i could honestly not think about it everytime i went to use a product and seen as alot of my pets are rescued, i always imagine it being them.
I think a natural diet is always best and i agree with the others who have suggested Burns.
Im afraid that just because a company is big and has a good name, does not mean they have your pets interest at heart. I would throughly do your own research on nutrition and you may be shocked at what you discover is in your average pet food that claims to be a healthy option, one word -MONEY! If something is not fit for human consumption, what makes it fit for your pet??
I dont think there is a debate that natural is better!!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2