Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2006, 06:09 PM

Wheat-a-bix, should they stop??

Hi,
My pup has had wheat-a-bix with water and a tiny splash of milk every morning for breakfast since we have had him. he loves it, Now he is six months and I have cut him down to 2 meals my partner thinks we should give it up. Im not sure, its a shame to stop something he loves so much. Any opinion will be appreciated....
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-07-2006, 06:53 PM
There isn't actually any nutrition in weetabix. It's all fibre and nothing else, it's just bran.

So, in my opinion he'd be better off with two proper meals of nutritious food, either dry or wet complete, or whatever his main food is.

Dawn R.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Hi Adele your puppy should certainly still be on 2 meals a day that is the daily food allowance divided by two .

I am not sure weetabix is the best food, some dogs have an allergy to wheat and don't tolerate milk when past the puppy stage but I guess if yours is ok it will do no harm. Maybe substitute live yogurt for the milk .
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2006, 07:21 PM
I would have a six-month pup on 3 meals a day and one would not be cereal, a six month pup needs good quality food, IMO 3 meals reducing to 2 when the dog stops being interested in one of the meals, usually the lunch time one. A puppy should have special puppy food unless you have the knowledge to produce a suitable diet yourself, which you don’t, so buy a good quality puppy food and feed the amount suggested divided into 3 meals.
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the advice, I actually cut him down to two meals as he stopped eating his lunch. I will def start feeding his normal food twice a day instead of the cereal, I didnt really think about the lack of goodness in it.

Thanks!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2006, 07:50 PM
If the dog dropped the lunch time meal that is fine, drop him to 2 meals a day but make sure he is getting the same amount he would have done with three meals, and feed a puppy food for another 3 months at least then if he is well up to size you can start introducing a Junior food.
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks alot for the advice, hes on complete puppy dry food a the mo so will def keep him on that for a while longer.
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2006, 09:54 PM
hi
If he's on a good quality complete puppy food then you know he's getting all the nutrients he needs, and you have a feeding guide to follow - no worries, no hassle!
Why do breeders insist on things like wheetabix and milk - I though dogs couldn't digest cows milk too well, and as another post mentioned, wheat is probably not the best cereal source to be feeding, as some dogs build up an intolerance to it.
Complete puppy foods are just that, complete. Nothing else is needed, and extra protein and fat on top of that are probably doing more harm than good. Too quick a growth of muscle mass on immature bones can't be healthy long term.