Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2012, 10:03 PM

Bad fish from DAF!

Has anyone else had problems with the minced oily fish from DAF?
I had my delivery last week from them and could smell something really rank when I brought the boxes into the utility room, and it was the fish.
I know fish stinks but Iv had this many times before and its never smelt like this. It was horrible, absolutely gut wrenching.
I thought it might be because it had defrosted so refroze it, only to take it out for tea tonight [for the dogs!] and the smell is back, its rancid!
2 of the dogs refused it so Iv thrown it away and stopped the other dog eating it, its just not right!
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

31-08-2012, 04:45 AM
Max always refuses any fish based product from DAF, I just thought it was him
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2012, 06:17 AM
Did they definitely send just oily fish rather than the oily fish with tripe? I can imagine the latter would smell rank even when fresh as a daisy!

I've had the oily fish several times and I think it smells lovely; just like smoked salmon, often making me fancy smoked salmon for breakfast. So if it was just oily fish rather than the tripey one and smelled dreadful, I'd be on the phone to complain.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2012, 06:20 AM
Isn't it a bit odd that it was defrosted? How long between your delivery and when you get home? I'm wondering if it wasn't frozen properly in the first place and that is why its gone off?
Bevm
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2012, 06:29 AM
Was told by my supplier that DAF were having problems with their freezers thats why he hadnt been able to get stock at the moment so who knows
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2012, 07:36 AM
Its definatley just fish, and iv had it many times before and as you say it smells just liked smoked salmon, but this time eugh!!
I was at home when it was delivered and took it strait off the delivery man into my utility room and into the freezer so no idea why it was half defrosted

Iv emailed them and they are going to knock the value of the fish off my next order
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Good result! I've found they are usually very good at compensating if you have a complaint like that
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2012, 06:18 PM
I've just had my DAF delivery and the dogs have wolfed down their oily fish for their Tea, so no problems here!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2012, 07:37 AM
When did you order it? I know DAF had problems wih their freezers which is why raw to go hadn't got any meat... Could of been a batch from when they had problems with their freezer?

Mine have the tripe and oily fish and like it. But I've never had an off batch.
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Isn't it a bit odd that it was defrosted? How long between your delivery and when you get home? I'm wondering if it wasn't frozen properly in the first place and that is why its gone off?
Totally agree with above. Thank goodness you let your nose dictate whether you fed it, imagine the upset stomachs fallout! Be wary of further deliveries.