View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2011, 07:03 PM
This evening I've started in earnest...I've already worked out that she's responding better if I use a high pitched voice rather than a slightly stern voice, I do have a whistle but knowing me I'd forget it!

On one occasion she completely ignored me...if she does this do I just put the treat away and try later? (in the house not out on the lead)
I have a longline, I'm thinking I'll start with the Flexi then progress to the longline?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Paley71 View Post
This evening I've started in earnest...I've already worked out that she's responding better if I use a high pitched voice rather than a slightly stern voice, I do have a whistle but knowing me I'd forget it!

On one occasion she completely ignored me...if she does this do I just put the treat away and try later? (in the house not out on the lead)
I have a longline, I'm thinking I'll start with the Flexi then progress to the longline?

If she ignores you when you recall in the home then yes - you take a lead, and put it on her, very calmly, and gently coax her to come to you, giving the recall cue again. Then praise like mad when she comes - and give the treat.

If she's like my dog, then you may have to start with the recall = just a few steps to get to you. Don't worry, honestly - once it 'clicks' you won't believe the improvement!

So keep practising in the home and garden. Don't recall IF she's very involved doing something else and you think she won't come. ONLY call when you feel sure her attention is not elsewhere, to start with.

Once she recalls in the home and garden, you can do more and more recalls throughout the day, and then progress to the park when it's quiet, on the Flexi.

You also need a high value treat - at the park as mentioned you can use her daily ration of food.

But in the home, find something she really likes, be it a treat, a toy, a game of tug - it can be anything that you know she enjoys

Let us know how you get on. It's taken me several months to get a decent recall and even now, we are still working hard on it as my dog loves playing with other dogs above all else

edited to add:

You can also pair the recall command with her meals, so she starts to associate coming to you = meals. In other words, coming to you = something good!

If you look at some of my posts, you will see the ones where I was desperate for help with recall, and all the great help I got from people on this forum. Look especially for advice given by DOBERMANN and SMOKEY BEAR.
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Brilliant, thanks everyone!

Will keep you updated with how I get on.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2