Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
organicgirl
New Member!
Female 

15-06-2011, 01:57 PM

HI from Newbie in Tasmania - chronic ear allergy

Hi Just wanted to introduce myself, My name is Leanne and I live in Tasmania, Australia. I recently adopted a maltese x poodle girl, she is 3 years old and a very loyal little dog. However she has come to me with a few problems the most concerning is chronic ear allergy (diagnosed by my vet) treatment with panalog works, but eventually the allergy returns. Panalog from my vet is an on-going expense not to mention the discomfort the dog suffers when the allergy eventually returns... so I am looking for help for some preventative/maintenance type treatment... I am wondering if there maybe others on this forum who through their experiences may have some advice to offer me, I am open to herbal and alternative treatments also, thanks in advance.
I would also be keen to learn of any other treatment (natural or otherwise) for the times I notice the allergy returning but have no panalog in the house. Something I can use to give her relief until I can get to the vets.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Hey, welcome to Dogsey!

Do you know what the allergy is to?
organicgirl
New Member!
Female 

19-06-2011, 01:53 AM
Hi
No I don't really know... the vet said that it was probably environmental rather than to food. But without testing done I guess I cannot out rule anything. He also said that dogs with floppy ears are more prone to this than dogs with upright ears. It is very frustrating though and drives her mad when it flares up.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 05:09 AM
Well you really need your dog to be tested don't you so that you can either remove the allergen or manage it.

In the interim I would suggest the folllowing:

Hepar Sulph is an excellent homeopathi treatment for gunky ears
remove grains from the diet if possible
Give the dog probiotics daily, in this case not live yoghurt but capsules with at least 20 billion bacteria or more
If Quistel ear cleaner is available, use this daily to begin with for a week.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 08:14 AM
I had a GSD with recurring ear problems due to flare-ups caused by allergies, which also gave her skin problems.
We traced the sources of the allergens - which in her case were cat fleas, food colourings and some pollen - and with a mixture of Stronghold spot-on (kills mites as well as fleas so treats ear mites), a food with no additives and anti-histamine in summer and she finally became well (and a much happier dog).
I would try to trace what your dog is sensitive to.
Is it seasonal? Is it food-related? Really, until you have an idea of what she`s reacting to, you`re just treating symptoms.