Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Marley.Lab
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2009, 02:15 PM

Feeding help - twice / three times?

Marley is 6kg he is on Autarky dry puppy food. The recommendation on the packet is 85-115g (am I right in assuming it is this amount over the day not per feed?)
I have read that feeding twice a day is about right, yet when we took him for his 1st jabs today the vet said 3 times should be fine.
Im now a little unsure what time to feed him and whether to do it twice or three times.
He is a 8 week Labrador if that makes a difference.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 02:35 PM
At 8 wks def feed 3 feeds not 2 imo....much better to feed smaller feeds more often.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 02:37 PM
You should be feeding four times a day at 8 weeks. Twice is definately not enough for a growing pup.

My Slovak pup is fed at 6am, 11am, 4pm and 7pm.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 02:45 PM
8 week old puppies should be 4 meals a day. I feed by eye(if the puppy looks well covered but not fat), the puppy eating everything in it's dish & how much comes out the other end

Every puppy is different in it's food needs & the amounts on the packs are only guide lines
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2009, 03:01 PM
my pup is 19 weeks old now. I still feed him 3 times a day. I'm going to change it to twice daily when he's 5 months old. the recommended daily allowance is so broad a range, I tend to keep an eye on his physical appearance and if he starts to look a bit skinny or not his normal, mad high energy self- I'll increase his food.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Marley.Lab View Post
Marley is 6kg he is on Autarky dry puppy food. The recommendation on the packet is 85-115g (am I right in assuming it is this amount over the day not per feed?)
I have read that feeding twice a day is about right, yet when we took him for his 1st jabs today the vet said 3 times should be fine.
Im now a little unsure what time to feed him and whether to do it twice or three times.
He is a 8 week Labrador if that makes a difference.
hi
defo three times a day,its not relative to his breed,pups only have small bellys so it makes it easier for him to digest and not overload his tummy
the amount on the packet is a guideline only,no dog is the same ,you should always go by body condition.with a lab you should let him grow slowly with no excess weight so his bones can develop without stress.when he is a teenager i would advise two meals.hope that helps
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 06:11 PM
He should be fed 4x a day until 16 weeks then 3x a day until he's around 6 months then you can cut it to 2x a day Any pics?
Marley.Lab
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks, we will feed 4 times a day and keep an eye on his shape/frame. I saw a link on another thread so will use that to keep myself aware.
Many thanks for all the replies, I just want to do the best by him.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Feeding by eye is a good idea...guidelines are so general. Labs are such gut buckets when it comes to food so getting it 'right' is particularly important.
Marley.Lab
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2009, 07:34 PM
HUmmm I do have pictures, but not sure how to insert them, i'll have a go...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >