Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 02:15 PM

weight pulling - Image

Because weight pulling has been mention in the news relating to dog fighters, is there going to be mass murder now because of hype and image

Weight pulling is a fantastic aid and fintess and work out for a bull breed
Break sticks are important in a multi bull breed house, in case a fight breaks out and its so difficult to part them without them
Tread mills, used by many owners who want to keep thier dogs fit

But alot of this could be mistaken for fighting homes when its not!

I have break sticks but thats it, i dont have a tread mill or do weight pulling, (id love to have and do both)

If you own/do/have these things how will u prove to the idiots who come round that its not for fighting dogs but a gread aid for the bull breeds you own

These aids are not for pitbull only, american bulldogs, staffords, boxers, otb and dotb, huskies and many many breeds use these, about time type and image is looked in very carefully

Because i can see many dogs being killed for no reason other than ignorance
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 02:20 PM
I agree. A lot of dogs enjoy weight pulling esp. bull breeds it'd be a shame for the good owners to be put off this sport. Thread mills I don't agree with though, if someone wants to increase their dog’s fitness they should take them out in the fresh air and let them run naturally jmo.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Thread mills I don't agree with though, if someone wants to increase their dog’s fitness they should take them out in the fresh air and let them run naturally jmo.

Totally agree
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

I sincerely hope not, Moki loves and adores wieght pull (and shes very good at it) I have break sticks now (never did before) because of what happened between her and another of my dogs, they are a much needed tool to break a fight between powerful breeds, easily and effectively if all else fails (and it usually does, belive me)..I am not a dogfighter, I love my dogs immensely, and I would never do any of them any harm at all whatsoever. I'm more worried about them hurting each other if all hell was to breal loose again, at least I know with a break stick if they are used proporly none of the dogs would come to any harm whatsoever. Break sticks are a huge MUST in any multiple Bull breed household, if no one possesess these and they have multiple bull breeds then they are very foolish indeed, always expect the unexpected, even if you think you know your dogs..I've learned a valuable lesson, and it will never happen again Luckily I have never had to use them but it's something I wouldn't rule out and I am glad that I have them.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Personally I think weight pulling should be banned. This is another extension to a man to show off his prowess and boasting about what his dog can do, therefore if they are allowed then people will continue to breed dogs to fulfil this roll.
Dogs are going to die in any event, the 40 odd dogs that have been seized, all those handed in by worried public (not dog lovers mind) will more than likely all be destroyed. Banning weight pulling will not result in more being destroyed but will stop the idiots who see their dogs as a way to 'prove' they're a 'man'.
Becky
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 02:27 PM
anne i personally would use a tread mill, but i dont need one because i have miles of land as i live on exmoor where my dogs RUN free, but sometimes where u cant allow ur dog off lead its an aid, i dont agree with people using it for the only exercise they get, because a dog loves walk!
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Nicci wonderfully well said!
Becky i totally disagree
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 02:29 PM
To be honest surely it is up to the individual person owners if they want to have these things on the premises,the damn media have a way of taking these things out of all context!
To be honest i don't like breaking sticks,if not used properly more harm than good can be done,if two staffords of mine ever started fighting i would prefer to choke them off by there collars.
Treadmills can be useful if you live in a big built up city and don't have access to countryside or any land where it is safe for dogs to be offlead.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Many bull breeds enjoy weight pulling, my friends SBT loves working. The American Bulldog was once bred as a working dog, pulling. They love it.

As for tread mills, I do not agree with them, but I know a lady who bought one for herself as she was keeping fit, and her dog used to go on it. She would have it on the 'walk' mode and her dog would try and run on it, so she used to turn it up and let the dog go on...he loved it!
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by nissanmad View Post
To be honest surely it is up to the individual person owners if they want to have these things on the premises,the damn media have a way of taking these things out of all context!
To be honest i don't like breaking sticks,if not used properly more harm than good can be done,if two staffords of mine ever started fighting i would prefer to choke them off by there collars.
Treadmills can be useful if you live in a big built up city and don't have access to countryside or any land where it is safe for dogs to be offlead.
I know alot of people use the choke method, i have done that before, as of yet i have not needed the break sticks, but with 2 males sbt in the house i think and sadly i may need them
when a dog is ragging another dog the choke method can be tough, as i found out when my lurcher attacked anothe dog ive also heard its not good for the dogs so i wont use that method now
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »