Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Crossposted with my edit so I'll stick it as a new post instead

I am wondering where the offal in the diet is though, all I can see is tripe and heart which, in the world of raw feeding, tend to be considered more muscle than offal

(and yup, ouch at the price - The Dog Food Company sell tripe for example at 35p/lb, that makes it £0.38 for something that company are selling for £1.49!)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by Murv View Post
It's just lovely to see her eagerly devour a bowl of food instead of reluctantly picking at it, which is how it should be, surely?
Yes. That`s why I changed. I spent years trying to find a food my dogs liked that was also healthy. And there it was, all the time! Real food.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Okay...going to give you some of my secrets now!

The butchers in Rainham (Rare I think its called) will give you bones etc quite cheaply, as will the one in Sittingbourne (Rooks) They may do them for free if you use them to buy your meat. Rooks often have things like Lamb breast mega cheap, they recently had an offer on Drumsticks, 5 for 99p. Not bad price at all

The fishmongers in Rainham, do sprats very cheaply, and they may also let you have fish heads for cheap (again, if you buy your own fish from there..you may get them free)

There is a farm in Iwade (the one with all the farm animals out the front, cant recall its name...probs something obivious!) who do trays of eggs for £1.50 (first lays)

In Whistable the butcher there does Pet Mince (I had a chat with him, and its the bits that Humans wouldnt want to eat ground up) its about 50p per pound. (Alan R Long)

I think Rare will also give you carcasses for a few pence.

I add to this, chicks/rats/mice (reptile ones) Offal (raid supermarkets) Different meats (again supermarkets, or on offer at Rooks) Veggies (if you choose to do so, Supermarket or Market) And for things you cant get locally Pets At Home do a frozen selection.

Be loads cheaper than the company you posted. I manage to feed 3 medium/large breeds for around £25 per month
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks all, greatly appreciated, think I'l give them a miss after all then, at least they got me started I supppose!

Kerriebaby, many thanks for all those, I shall get shopping!
I think we worked the cost out using barfpetfoods was about £50.00-£60.00/Month so your option sounds a lot better! plus, there is a concern about the lack of offal too.

thanks again,

Chris
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 08:30 AM
No problems...If I can think of any more that I use, I will let you know.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2