Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
I think you will find that i deliberately did not commentanywhere on the laminate thing But as that is completely off topic I will get back to the topic - The logic I was putting across is that whilst I agree everyone has the right to their views thereare very few (I know Ramble does not fall in to this category) who take 1 daya year to condem racing based on the GRAND NATIONAL, thats where I have the problem. By all means condem racing thats is a logical argument ifthat is how you feel BUT then there has to be condemnation of all Equine sports including general hacking out - yes I appreciatethe risks are less thaan racing in the grand national but there are still risks none the less so why is it acceptable to some to risk a horse in some activities but not others. My logic was obviously flawed in your opinion or perhaps it was not explained well either way The Grand National is a race which yes has elements of risk and danger. Is that acceptable? To some yes to others no. Is it acceptable to put any animal through something potentially dangerous for our own entertainment or to show as entertainment for others? To some the risk of danger is not seen until it is pointed out as Ramble took the time to do, to others the risk is known and ignored and to others the risk is judged to be in the big picture an acceptable risk. Does this make anyones logic wrong?
That's a very fair response (and I wasn't suggesting you commented on the laminate thing at all btw, just using it as an example to explain my interpretation of your post).

In terms of the one day a year thing, I can see how it is seen like that but don't assume that just because you only hear from the antis at this time of year we all don't care about other shows, it's just that this is arguably one of the biggest races of the year and in the past, one of the most dangerous.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
That logic amuses me. That's almost as if you're saying that you would put an animal through a potential dangerous sport for money and pleasure because it could hurt itself anytime.

?
A classic case of reading into something that is nto here.

I took from Bens post , if you are going to shout about one aspect of equine sport as " vile" you should perhaps include ALL aspects of equine disciplines.

After all my guess is your dislikes of the sport is the injury to the animals....
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

09-04-2011, 09:06 AM
That's a very fair response (and I wasn't suggesting you commented on the laminate thing at all btw, just using it as an example to explain my interpretation of your post).

In terms of the one day a year thing, I can see how it is seen like that but don't assume that just because you only hear from the antis at this time of year we all don't care about other shows, it's just that this is arguably one of the biggest races of the year and in the past, one of the most dangerous.
Being the operative words
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
After all my guess is your dislikes of the sport is the injury to the animals....
Correct. I later explained my interpretation of her post too. Did you not see that?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Being the operative words
Yes, I was saying that to try and be fair. It is better, but it's still dangerous and horses still die.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

09-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Correct. I later explained my interpretation of her post too. Did you not see that?
After I had replied.

The point being Pidge, if the argument is "horses die then it should include EVERYTHING we do with horses,,,

As horse fatalities are far higher throughout other aspects of equine sport, then racing.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm with Ramble, Nippy, Luthien and the other antis.

Vile sport.
Thats a typical reply from somebody who has clearly NOT read the thread at all!!
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

I suppose it all depends on where you draw the line on what is acceptable. Personally I think that if there are reasonable measures put in place to prevent any suffering for the animals, then great, carry on. But as it is they expect an average of three horses to die each year, with five dying in 2009 and 4 dying in 2010. That says to me that the level of risk is unacceptably high, higher than other events. Of course, if (on average) six horses in every thousand were to die out hacking or whatever then I would be against that too, but the fact is that they don't because it is not as dangerous. There is a big difference between a freak accident that could happen to any horse, and an event dangerous enough that horses dying is relatively commonplace. The former can only be prevented by sheer luck or wrapping the animal in cotton wool for it's whole life; the latter can be prevented pretty easily, but people chose not to. I don't understand why anyone would support those odds against the horses, but I can respect your choice.

And I do eat meat, but not meat from an animal that is either killed by or euthanised after a major injury, sustained in an event purely for human entertainment- there's a big difference, in my mind.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Not long to go folks........ Cant wait.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 10:03 AM
I have got the chocolate in...............

Shame we do not see the Pardubice, now THERE is a race!
Page 12 of 52 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »