View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty1978
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2011, 04:09 PM

Does anyone have a dog that has hypothyroidisim?

ok so bonnie has had recurring interdigital cysts since june 2010, she went to the vets yesterday and he has put her on some antibiotics that i had researched on the internet that someone else had found successful, she had been on steroids but to be able to do blood tests she has to be off them but if she is off them the cysts come back, i would like him to test for hypothyroidisim but he said that she has no hair loss, so could you give me your dogs syptoms or any advise you have just because she doesnt have the hair loss does that mean she doesnt have it? she is over weight but she was before she started taking the steroids but shes not a pig when she eats and she keeps up with my staff when there of the lead so i cant understand why she is over weight, any help would be great its been going on so long now just want her to be well again
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Tara has hypothyroidism.

We were consulting the vet over concerns about her skin as she was constantly scratching and had pustules on her tummy, groin etc.

She did not suffer hairloss and was actually underweight. The vet suggested testing her thyroid as she was not behaving as he would have expected a young gsd to behave in his surgery. She was quiet and not very alert or interested in her surroundings and seemed lethargic. She also had a slow heartrate that you may expect from a very fit athletic dog however she was far from fit as she tired quickly after a short period of exercise.

So yes dogs can have hypothyroidism and not suffer the hairloss or other typical symptoms.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Roxy had hypo-T and also suffered from inter-digital cysts.

She was on medication for it, but for the life of me I can't remember the name......

Sorry, not much help at all really.....
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 08:22 PM
I have had two hypothyroid dogs. Neither of them had the classic coat lose. One had repetitive corneal ulcers and was lethargic. The other had weight gain even though she was not a big eater, lethargic and chronic dandruff. Both times I was told that they were not hypothyroid but
the test proved otherwise. Unfortunately for the one with the corneal ulcers this was too late as she lost an eye and had to have a graft on the remaining one as the ulcers had left the cornea very thin

I would not hesitate to have the test done and in fact will be having it done on my Dobe shortly as he is getting a very thin coat and hugs radiators at every given opportunity. He has been tested before but the vet felt he was no low enough to go on medication.
kirsty1978
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2011, 08:28 PM
thanks for your responses to be honest i really hope it is hypothyroidisim because at least the medication should clear up her cysts, she gets clumps of hair on her legs when shes moulting so ive been brushing her with a slicker brush and the amount of dandruff on the floor is un real, ive changed there food to fish and potato and all there treats are fishy things, how long do you think it will take for the steroids to get out of her system for a blood test
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 08:46 PM
I think it would have been soloxine Vicky
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 03:37 AM
Originally Posted by kirsty1978 View Post
thanks for your responses to be honest i really hope it is hypothyroidisim because at least the medication should clear up her cysts, she gets clumps of hair on her legs when shes moulting so ive been brushing her with a slicker brush and the amount of dandruff on the floor is un real, ive changed there food to fish and potato and all there treats are fishy things, how long do you think it will take for the steroids to get out of her system for a blood test
Your vet would advise you regarding this. Insist that they do the following - TSH, T3 + T4. They have to send this off and you get an accurate diagnosis. It takes about 7-10 days to come back. If the vet does their local test, you get the results within 48 hours but they are never conclusive or rarely