Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TJCeeJay
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-05-2014, 05:09 AM

Bud's New Gear; and Playing With a Piece of Driftwood

Howdy all! It was an interesting day today. The first part of the day was a blast. Bud got to try out his new lifejacket for the first time; and then we got to play with a piece of driftwood for a while.

Here's Bud all stylin' in his new kit.

Bud doing some seashell collecting.

And Bud playing with a stick. (Or rather, playing ON a stick.)

Now that's what I call a piece of driftwood! It floated into the harbor last week, and I was able to get a good long rope onto it, get myself to shore at a beach protected by a reef, and haul the monster in as far as I could. When I hauled it in last week, it went up on shore with the crown at the top of the beach, and the butt out in deeper water. Last night it swung around so that the whole thing was perpendicular to the shore, so Bud and I went over today to snug the rope up, to keep the log the way it is now.

I have absolutely no idea as to what in the world I'll be able to do with such a massive log, (Maybe a new dock?) but at least the branches are "small" enough that my 16 inch chainsaw will be able to cut them off and I'll be able to chop 'em up into firewood. (Nothing makes better firewood than a big branch!) They are so dense, they burn for twice as long as an equivalent sized tree trunk. (Best cold weather firewood, bar none!)

Anyhoo, after Bud and I were done messing around with the "driftwood" it was time to head back to the docks, and for an unexpected 4 hours of hard labor. (Related in my latest post in my "Had a Couple of Interesting Visitors Today" thread in the "Chat" section.

Me and Bud headed home.

Righty then, thought I'd share Buds new duds, and the piece of driftwood that drifted in for me and Bud to play with.

Cheers!

Cory
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2014, 06:00 AM
Driftwood! Would look nice in someone's fish tank wouldn't it?

Bud practising his log rolling (I bet he wouldn't be too keen to walk it if it was 'moving around')

What a find! What a lucky dog. I doubt any dog on here has ever had their master or mistress present them with such a 'stick' lol!

Love his new life jacket and the fact he needs it makes me laugh. I had one with a little 'handle' on the back for my Cavvy years ago. She hated swimming but loved paddling and oddly enough she would happily paddle and duck her head right under to pick up shells. She only swam if my daughter ran out with her and dumped her in - she swam to get out asap!

I'm thinking Bud probably has the best life of any dog in the world. I'm reminded of a line from one of my old favourite Blues Songs (Going Down Slow - Howlin' Wolf) could apply to both you and Bud methinks. Well it springs to my mind when looking at your pics!

I done enjoyed things
That Kings and Queens will never have
In fact, Kings and Queens can never get
And they don't even know about it

I sometimes quote another line from it applying it to myself ...

I did not say I was a millionaire
But I said I have spent more money than a millionaire
'Cause if I had kept all of the money I done already spent
I would've been a millionaire, a long time ago

Maybe that applies to you too!

Read more: Howlin' Wolf - Goin' Down Slow Lyrics | MetroLyrics
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2014, 07:41 AM
What lovely pictures of Bud enjoying his piece of driftwood
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2014, 07:44 AM
Brilliant photos again. It just shows how much power the sea has to be able to bring a tree that size in.
Imagine the fun your going to have cutting that up
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2014, 08:03 AM
I love that life jacket and bud looks great in it. he could be a model he is such a poser
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Bud certainly looks the biz in his new gear
at the drift wood.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2014, 08:59 AM
As usual Cory .... stunning photos I love Bud's life jacket and he doesn't seem to be concerned wearing it. I think if I put one on either of my dogs they would stand stock still and refuse to move

That is one HUGE piece of driftwood
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

26-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Those are brilliant photos! I watched a program the other day on telly and the chap was hauling driftwood, similar to that, on his boat at the back of it!!

Your lovely dog is obviously enjoying himself.

Lovely photos!
TJCeeJay
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Thanks all!

Originally Posted by Tang View Post

Love his new life jacket and the fact he needs it makes me laugh. I had one with a little 'handle' on the back for my Cavvy years ago. She hated swimming but loved paddling and oddly enough she would happily paddle and duck her head right under to pick up shells. She only swam if my daughter ran out with her and dumped her in - she swam to get out asap!
Thank you Tang! And the handles on Bud's lifejacket are one of the main reasons I ordered the one I did. If ever Bud did go into the water while we were out boating, then it would be nigh impossible to get him back on board without the handles. He's 75 pounds or so dry; if he was soaked, he'd be easily over 100 pounds, and I don't think I could lift him back into the canoe without hurting him if he didn't have a lifejacket with handles.

Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
As usual Cory .... stunning photos I love Bud's life jacket and he doesn't seem to be concerned wearing it. I think if I put one on either of my dogs they would stand stock still and refuse to move
Thank you! And that's funny; Bud actually loves his lifejacket. (If only because he knows that when it goes on, he's going out to explore new territory.) It also doesn't hurt that I give him treats every time I put the jacket on him, so I guess he equates it with both with fun and food. (Whichever; at least he's not bothered by the thing!)

Righty then, It's time for me to enjoy a nice cup of coffee in the fleeting sunshine, and warm my bones after spending most of the morning with my arms underwater as often as above while working on reinforcing all the connection points on the dock, and new breakwater.

Cheers! And thank again everyone!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-05-2014, 08:35 PM
Its lovely Cory. 2 of Mabs's babies have a life jacket because their new family has a boat, they have now grown out of 2 of them and are in the middle of their 3rd. They think nothing of it, and love going on the boat, their 2nd home now.
Loving your firewood, just what I'm looking for in winter, however nowhere to moor it, and no chain saw either!!!