Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2005, 05:51 PM
You people will murder me now

I have started using one with Tam (shock horror bad bad Kate!! ) normally I'd never have touched one, but he's been getting very uppity and aggressive with the dogs at the club. Now probably its his age and probably it's due to hormones, but the fact of it is he won't be distracted by food, toys, me calling, ANYTHING!!! And the thing of it is even though it "might" pass in time I don't want to run the rick of him learning that being a bully like that is more fun than listening to me. I've been using it for 2 lessons and while training inbetween and I have seen BIG results. Then you must think, I also use positive methods along with the choke and I always encourage him to go that way rather then using the chain. And had we not run into this problem I'd not have changed to the chain, and when we get over this he'll be back on the buckle collar.

As Mr. Spock correctly said (as did SB) it's the noise and not the choke.

Personally I'd save my big time aversion for the prong/electric shock collars. Now those really ARE barbaric and should all be burned!!
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2005, 02:16 AM
Thanks for your comments, everyone! I've given it a lot of thought and I think I might go ahead with the class. The reason being I have found someone who has taken last year's training class, taught by the same woman. He said that the difference in his dog is night and day. I remembered some of the things you all suggested and asked him if his dog listens to him now even if it wasn't wearing the choke collar. He smiled and said, "Of course! That old thing is just sitting in the bottom of the closet now."

I realize that the difference in the dog's behavior may be unique just to his dog. But I feel strongly about this class that it will be a good thing. I am going to go open minded and I have sworn to myself if the teacher harms Kieron or frightens her out of her mind with the collar, she'll never see me or my dogs again and she'll get negative comments when asked about her methods of training. I'll keep you all updated when class starts!

(Please don't think of my as cruel because I have chosen to take this class... )
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2005, 09:53 AM
I think you have made a well informed and researched decision. You are aware of the possibilities, and know what your decision will be if these are negative.
Good luck in the class.
Keep us posted!
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2005, 11:48 AM
The prong collars, if we're talking about the same thing, aren't all as bad as you would think. Are we talking the chain type collar with the 'fingers' (can't think of how else to describe it).

They're good for super hairy dogs that can't feel the choke chain unless you're half hanging them with it. I've had one on my wrist and had someone pull (the correct way) and it was more of a grab then a choke...again, the key is the noise. You can also buy rubber nubs to fit on the ends of the fingers to make it more comfortable for the dog.

What I absolutely cannot stand, as with any collar, is seeing someone use it incorrectly OR for the wrong purpose. I have seen countless numbers of the 'tough' short haired breeds with the prong collars on...pits, staffs, rotties, boxers, etc. Makes me cringe to see someone walking their dog with that collar on like it's their everyday thing.

Those collars, like chain collars, work well for certain dogs and not for others. Your trainer, I hope, will tell you that the chain (or prong collar for those that run into it) is only for class and homework. It's not to be worn to or from class, at home, etc. Strictly for training. If they don't tell you that...I just did. The classes I taught and the classes I took, you had your dog on a regular collar/lead or harness/lead and then switched over when you went into class and back again as you were leaving.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2005, 12:55 PM
no, I did mean the ones with the fingers. And I do agree with you that they are not all bad, especially when used for the really hairy dogs. But I have seen too many times them being used for Dobies/APBTs/Rotties/Boxers on (as you say) all the time as a normal collar (my pet hate). And true the prong can be an effective and humane aid WHEN USED PROPERLY by an EXPERIENCED person, but really only then.

And as you say, the pinch/prong is only ever for training. We have a normal buckle on at home and for walks.
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2005, 03:50 AM
As far as I know, the trainer is using just a chain choke, without the prongs. I for one think the prong collars look rather frightening, but I'm not putting those down all together.

Thanks for reminding me, Mr. Spock, about not wearing the choke collar at all times. I was aware of that to begin with, but I am glad it is fresh in my mind. I once saw a dog in PetSmart with a prong collar on. It was very well behaved, wasn't pulling at all. The owner never once corrected the dog with the collar, but it was still wearing it. I didn't much like the sight, as I was aware of the fact that those collars and other chokers are strictly for training. This dog was only going shopping with its owner! I dunno...

Thanks so much again for you help everyone, I really appreciate it!
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Sure thing. Petsmart is actually where I used to teach. Those prong collars look extremely frightening and when I was teaching a lot of people asked about them. I figured instead of an automatic 'Oh God no, they're horrid' I sould learn about them.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4