View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2005, 05:44 PM
i would never use any kind of choke collar. Using methods of stop starting indie rarely pulls on the lead now. I feel there are other methods if the time is put into it to teach ur dog to walk without pulling.

this is me saying this after about 3 months of indie pulling onlead and now free from pulling
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2005, 09:39 PM
I don't see how a half-check is cruel?
The chain part doesn't really 'nip' the dog, like a full check would!

I sometimes use a halti & collar with Teagan, but she scratches her nose on the floor occasionally when she wears the halti (and has drawn blood).
She doesn't really pull much anymore, with the hald check.

Teagan has the same one as Staffy posted, but a lot dirtier! lol
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2005, 10:48 PM
max has a half check like the one staffy posted. it is handy and he knows that if he hears the chains start to pull he has gone to far forward. i have found it very handy for a strong dog to have a bit of correction. (until he sees a squirrel of course)
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 07:35 AM
Well I read all this with some shock ...
All of our dogs that we have trained (others been adopted, therefore already trained) were trained with choke chains (full choke chains). We have never had any problems, the dogs learn VERY quickly not to pull.

Bruno (current dog) had also been trained using a choke chain, and had no problems, very well behaved. A few months after I adopted him, I lost his choke chain, and just used his normal collar with a lead. I didnt mind, but he was definately not as well behaved. When my dad looked after him (while we were away on honeymoon), he insisted on buying him another choke chain so he could take him running. Bruno is not as good as he used to be, but getting there as we are using the choke chain again.

So, I have never had any reason to not use a choke chain (as I use it properly), until I read this thread ... and will definately have to reconsider using it now.
I dont know how it could hurt him (apart from obvious reasons resulting from abuse / misuse), but I am sure as you all feel so strongly about it, there must be some good reason.
Will now look into an alternative ... maybe just getting a half-choke for now.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-03-2005, 08:51 AM
We use a leather half choke on Star and like Katy's Max when she hears the chain she stops pulling.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 09:03 AM
I have used half choke, choke chains, harnesses and haltis during the last 15yrs on different dogs.

I agree if used incorrectly the choke chain can damage a dogs windpipe and care must be taken to ensure you know exactly how to correct the dog and the method of doing so. As with all corrective methods, knowledge is the key. Some dogs learn to pull against the choker and end up coughing and hurting themselves. Inexperienced users put it on the wrong way and often apply too much force.

For inexperienced handlers the half-check is a safer alternative and very effective.
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom
....As with all corrective methods, ....
My dislike of the check and half-check chains is not based on whether they cause discomfort or pain when they are used correctly or incorrectly (although obviously I don't want to see any dog hurt), but the fact that they are a corrective method - I prefer to reward behaviour that I want to reinforce rather than correct behaviour I want to eliminate
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't touch a Choke Chain with a barge pole - nasty nasty barbaric things !!
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't touch a Choke Chain with a barge pole - nasty nasty barbaric things !!
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2005, 11:37 AM
The point of the choke chain is the noise, not the choke. If used properly, like anything else, they can be a good training tool...if used incorrectly, like anything else, they can be a horrible training tool.

The class I use is using positive reinforcement (treats or toys) and clickers (if you so desire). However, she has several different types of collars on hand...from choke chain to halti...if there is a dog that needs such. What I like about this trainer is that she is very versatile...that's what I would look for. If this trainer uses a choke chain, don't let that dissuade you, however, if you tell her you're uncomfortable using one and she has no other options for you, find another trainer.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >