View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Many training tools can be an instruments of abuse if used incorrectly. I understand that the problem with check/choke chains is that very few people, including some trainers, know how to use them properly. I am told that it is the noise of the links which should be the signal/correction to the dog, not a yank which causes discomfort. As you can tell, I don't use them
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2005, 03:15 AM
Wow, everyone. Thanks for your comments. I am seriously going to reconsider this class now. I knew I should go by my gut instinct, and that was that I didn't like them either.

I will be giving the trainer a call and will ask her some questions, including why she uses this method over positive reinforcement. Thanks everyone, I'll let you know what happens.

*hugs*-Tara
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2005, 09:16 AM
never used them and I never would I dont like them
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2005, 02:38 PM
We used one on Chloe when we first had her (on the advice of the people at her puppy training class) and it was awful!! We only used it twice and she nearly choked herself pulling!!! I dont know why, but the chain seemed to make her pull even more - Maybe to get away from it?
We now use the half-choke collar on her and she's much better and i would never use a choke chain on any of my dogs again!!
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2005, 03:06 PM
If you go to the APDT site, you should be able to find a trainer that uses positive only methods in your area. Steer well clear of nyone who uses choke chains, to be honest it probably isn't even worth phoning her to discuss, as she's likely to have every fake reason in the world to back herself up - she can't possibly not be aware of the benefits of positive methods and the cruelty of negative methods if she's a trainer in today's world.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2005, 03:15 PM
They were extremely common years ago but thankfully now things have moved on (well with some trainers anyway)
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2005, 03:19 PM
I've never used a choke chain on Satchmo, and there've been some instances where, in too forceful hands, they've resulted in handler aggression.

With regard to them working through negative reinforcement, what d'you guys think of haltis, gentle leaders etc? I use a halti, so I'm kinda in favour, but aren't they negative reinforcement too? If the dog pulls it gets an unpleasent pressure across the bridge of the nose, etc.

Becs
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Kieron and Houdini both have a Halti and they seem to work very well. I wish the class would let me use that instead. I wondered about Halti's being negative as well, but didn't really think much of it.

Just curious, but what is the difference between a choke collar and a half-check? I've heard of both, but never really considered the differences.

Oh, KathyM, is there a link to the APDT site? Is it only for England residents? Because I live in Oklahoma, USA. Maybe I could find a site that is similar but serves my area. Thanks!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2005, 04:07 PM
I used a half check on Tam.
Might have picture of one actually I'll have a look for you

Yep here's a pic of the half check

Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2005, 04:45 PM
I've always used choke collars on my two staffs!! If used properly they can't do no harm!! My two walk beside me and my OH instead of running about 5 foot ahead which i don't like! I bought half chokes today because they are both bigger now. They seem to do the trick also! My two are happy to be trained with them
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >