Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Hi

Just a few quick thoughts - the teaching of down/stay etc can help a lot with impulse control and doing this (not just this exercise, but others which teach self control too) if done throughout the day, can help to make self control easier for the dog and make him more likely to listen to you.

On its own, it won't prevent chasing but IMO it is a part of the whole package if you like

Had something else to say but it's gone now, oh well!

Wys
x
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-02-2013, 08:43 PM
My last dog was in many ways perfectly behaved. One simple glance from me and she seemed to know. I took her training 15 years ago when she was a puppy. I'm now back not having had to consult any training manuals for 15 years and the whole field has changed dramatically - no "pack leader" stuff etc.. I have learnt so much in the year since I've had this one - I have to remember a lot of it is theory and a lot of what I read works for some dogs and not others, I take a bit of each and see what works - so far nothing has turned him into a perfect dog - surprise surprise!

Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
I've never learned anything from our good dog. She was lovely though. The 'naughty' ones were the ones that made me learn about dogs, like my sheep chaser, my dog reactive dog, like my barky dog. They're responsible for me sitting here and telling you YOU CAN DO IT. But you need help of someone who can assess your dog and his environment before advising you how to best proceed.
Which you seem to have. By the way, my behaviourist also is APDT, not APBC.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, I read them today whilst at work and thought they made perfect sense, so at lunchtime I bought some special dog treats, when I go home and after he settled down, I put him through his paces, sit and stay, down and stay - he was absolutely perfect at them so I've decided now I'm going to try them outside again - he's not quite so co-operative.

You're right it's not just about the exercise in and of themselves it's the wider picture - and what he is developing mentally by doing something that he doesn't really want to do in order to get a reward.

thank you

QUOTE=Wysiwyg;2660935]Hi

Just a few quick thoughts - the teaching of down/stay etc can help a lot with impulse control and doing this (not just this exercise, but others which teach self control too) if done throughout the day, can help to make self control easier for the dog and make him more likely to listen to you.

On its own, it won't prevent chasing but IMO it is a part of the whole package if you like

Had something else to say but it's gone now, oh well!

Wys
x[/QUOTE]
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3