Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 09:01 AM
Awwww bless her!!!
I love seeing how many times they have to get stuck before it actually clicks they have to try a different way lol!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Teagan bites those Nylabones into small pieces!
She's done it to 2 of them, so I don't let her have them now, as the size she bites them into are about the size that would choke her!
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2004, 12:10 AM
Well thanks for your advice, everyone. Hopefully I will never ever have to make that advice a reality, but who knows, it's better to know what to do when it happens than to panik and not know what to do.

I guess I'm a bit confused.. What exactly is a nylabone that won't break into small pieces? Does anyone know of a website that explains what they are made of and what they look like? Because if they are much safer than rawhides and keep the dog just as satisfied, I'll get some and trade them for the rawhides.

Thanks again!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by SibeLuver03
Well thanks for your advice, everyone. Hopefully I will never ever have to make that advice a reality, but who knows, it's better to know what to do when it happens than to panik and not know what to do.

I guess I'm a bit confused.. What exactly is a nylabone that won't break into small pieces? Does anyone know of a website that explains what they are made of and what they look like? Because if they are much safer than rawhides and keep the dog just as satisfied, I'll get some and trade them for the rawhides.

Thanks again!
SL As I said above I have had one for about 15 years and it is indestructable, it is white and bone shaped about 6inches long,perhaps as Hevvur says Teagan chews them up they are not as well made as they used to be
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2004, 04:15 AM
Nylabone is a U.S. company, so you should be able to find them easily SL. http://www.nylabone.com/dog_chews/index.html
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Nylabones remember come in a variety of strenghts to suit different dogs from light to very heavy chewers...

I bought my pup a nylabone which I thought would be tough enough for her but she chewed bits off in minuets so we took it back to the store and they kindly exchanged it for a stronger one...

Thing is with Keena is if it is too hard to chew then she doesn't see the point she loved the one she could chew bits off but didn't pay much attention to the stronger one. Keena has been quite funny with chews, ever since she was tiny if the chew just was not pliable enough to destroy she would leave it till she got big enough to destruct it, that seems the only reason she wants to chew it for. We had all these chews for her when she was little and her toy box was full now one by one they are falling victim to her new big teeth and her toy box is almost empty, she leaves the chew toys till she knows she can destroy them in at least a few days then suddenly after months of it being there and her not touching it she is incredibly interested in which ever one is her new victim and after a while I just have to bin it before it gets dangerous. This one toy she had stayed in the toy box from when we first had her I always tried to get her to play with it and she wouldn't then months later it was time!...After months of nothing, It was recked beyond recognition after just two days of interest and it had to be thrown away.

Now there arn't many chew toys in the store I can buy with the knowledge that she wont be able to destroy it. I bought one that said it was 'indestructable' and would last and last and last with a big dog, they were wrong, in half an hour Keena had broken bits away.

I guess the nylabone we got for the strongest of chewers is ok in the fact that she hasn't broke bits off yet but unfortunatly she doesn't like chewing on it as much as the ones she knows she can really tear up. A dilema!!

Regarding rawhides I wanna know...even with a massive chew like the one above, if you take them away once the dog starts to get bits off to swallow how the heck long do they last them because Keena will start to tear bits off in no time at all because she really loves the damn things and gets very tinatious with them with the knowledge that she knows she can tear bits off to eat. Even when she was 8 weeks she could devour a large rawhide in no time...Now I don't give them to her to frequently as I know she just wants to eat the whole thing and apart from chocking if she does successfully eat the whole thing then that is an awful lot of crap in her belly and it fills her up so she doesn't want to eat her normal food.

It's funny cuz she absolutly adores those flippin raw hide moccasons or little shoe things, she loves them so much because she likes taking them apart bit by bit by unthreading the 'laces' and 'stiching'...lol..they really are a waste cuz they last a few minuets with her but she loves them so much for the time they do last that she gets them now and again to play with. When we take her into the pet store she just goes straight up to the bin with them inside and chooses one and carries it around the store till we pay for it and plays with it when she is waiting for us to hurry up...

I guess all in all the only chew that I would feel safe with her having is her nylabone even though it isn't her fave. So like I said just remember they come in different strenghs and you should choose the one that suits your dog. What about the kong chew toys, these are the only ones I know that are made out of rubber that can't get trashed in a day but I think it would be good if they did a bigger range and different shapes cuz the only ones I can find are a bit small, you know the ones that have the grooves in that are good for their teeth etc.

It's a shame now cuz the petstore has so many different toys for dogs but we look at them 'nope' she would tear that up in seconds 'that one too'...there arn't many toys and chews that a big dog can play with. That's why my favorit thing to give Keena is a large raw knuckle bone or marrow bone she loves them and she can't swallow a bunch of rubbish that she can't digest and they cost nothing only trouble there is they don't make good indoor chews...lol. S**t you just can't win...lol
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3