View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jimmdi
Dogsey Junior

31-10-2004, 02:31 PM

health and diet help

Hello, we are new to ths site. We are running a caravan park which closes for the season today so our dogs have 14 acres to run about on for the winter. We have a rather elderly bearded collie ( Morris) and a young rhodesian ridgeback ( Sonnie)
Its Sonnie we have the problem with, He is actually my son's dog but seems to sleep out our bed as often as he does his.
Sonnie is having seizures at about three week intervals. At present he is not on any medication and if possible we would like to avoid that. I am trying to find a dog mixer that has no additives so I can be sure what vitamines he is getting and how much. He likes his meat and bickies so it would be easier to continue to feed him that way if possible but will move on to complete food if it is not possible. Also if any one else has an epileptic dog how do you manage it? Do they have to go on medication or can it be controlled by vitamines and wholesome food?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Hello there and welcome to DW Yes my sisters neighbours had a BC with epilepsy, it was on medication and lived for many years. If you want a complete food without additives I would recommend Burns http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/ if you contact them they will send samples and the also have a nutritionalist on hand to advise ps I just looooove beardies!! why not go to 'Introductions' and meet everyone and post some pics?
jimmdi
Dogsey Junior

02-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the advice Minihaha will look at the site. I am trying to post some pickies but having trouble getting them small enough. Will do so soon as I get that right
Have a nice one of Morris, sonnie and my Mums poodle looking closely a a piece of toast being consumed by hubby. I don't think he got it all, its the eyes.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 03:58 PM
lol Jimmdi
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

03-11-2004, 08:57 AM
Is this any good?
http://www.animalsnaturally.com/stor...dogrecipe.html
I do have a link for additive free natural mixer but I can`t find it right now, will have another look & post it when I find it tho
Christine
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

03-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Found them
http://naturaldogfoodcompany.com/news.htm?nid=25
http://www.greenark.mcmail.com/cereal.htm
And the one below is Dr Jean Dodds site, shes an epert on epilepsy
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...m/site_map.htm

Christine
jimmdi
Dogsey Junior

04-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the links Christine I have had a quick look and already picked up a few tips. I will have a good look later.
We have the Caravan club arriving today for their firework rally. Jimmy is going to take Sonnie out for a drive in the country side while the fireworks are happening. We thought about putting him in kennels for the night but decided that would stress him out just as much at the fireworks. He is such a sweet soul and gets upset very easily.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2004, 09:07 PM
can you not feed a complete biscuit (kibble) with his meat that he has already...Then just feed say half and half or one third two thirds etc? My pup has a complete kibble and wet food at the same time and I just feed her one third of the wet and two thirds of the dry.

I actually don't understand 'mixers'?...are they just to add a little crunch to their wet food?

Hope it all works out for you!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2004, 09:11 PM
can you not feed a complete biscuit (kibble) with his meat that he has already...Then just feed say half and half or one third two thirds etc? My pup has a complete kibble and wet food at the same time and I just feed her one third of the wet and two thirds of the dry.

I actually don't understand 'mixers'?...are they just to add a little crunch to their wet food?

Hope it all works out for you!
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-11-2004, 08:32 AM
Hi M/chvous, mixers are biscuits that are meant to be fed with meat, fresh or tinned, they supply half the nutients to go with the other half
Christine.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >