Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
FlashsFolks919
New Member!
Female 

29-11-2012, 06:34 PM

Flash's Troubles

Hi yall, I am new here and wanted to do an introductory blog for myself, my bf Nick and our dooger, Flash Beagle.

I joined dogsey because a.) I LOVE dogs. They're more than just a pet, they are a member of the family. And b.) My baby Flash is very sick.

Flash had what our vet thought was Beagle Pain Syndrome. He showed all of the typical signs of it and got better with a short time on steroids. Two months later he started getting sick again. We took him to the same vet, who prescribed the same medicine, yet Flash wasn't getting better. We took him for a second opinion to another vet. She immediately said that he would need an MRI to check for a slipped, hemorrhaged or diseased disc. MRI's, we were told, could cost upwards to about $800. My boyfriend and I don't have that sort of money laying around. We decided to try the medicine this new vet prescribed. It made him comfortable, but when the pill wears off, Flash is back to being hunch backed, panting, shaking and now spasming in his chest and neck. We were so scared.

I suggested taking him to the original Dr, whom I liked better. I did some research and discovered that Beagle Pain Syndrome can indeed recur. I thought I had saved my pups life! I was a hero!

Dr. Gillen looked at my with such sympathy. He orded lab work, just in case (although I'm sure he knew beforehand it was more serious), and everything came back normal. He suggested an x-ray, which was much, MUCH more affordable than an MRI. The Dr. took a very long time coming back in with us. Nick and I were so scared for our baby. We could hear his cries in the waiting room as they tried to lay him down for the x-ray.

When the Dr. came back to the room, he was carrying a medical book with him. He informed us there was a spot on Flash's x-ray, right on the uppermost part of her spine, that he couldn't identify. He suggested it may be calcification from a ruptured disc, but it was like no other he had seen before. I suggested a tumor, and he didn't so no, but he looked doubtful and showed us a pitcure in his book with what cancer looked like. Luckily it looked absolutely nothing like Flash's spot. He sent the x-rays to a local University to be analyzed.

Nick got the call while I was at work. Flash has Osteoporosis and Bone Degeneration in his top vertebrae on his spine. Dr. Gillen told Nick they can do surgery to fuse his bones together with an 80-85% success rate.

I cried. I hurt in my heart so bad. In my mind 80-85% wasn't very much. My friends consoled me, Nick consoled me, I consoled him. Then we discovered how much surgery would be. nearly $4,000. Now, if we didn't have the $800 for an MRI we certainly didn't have what we need for surgery. Our Dr told us of a carecard credit card many people use to cover pet hospital bills. Its basically a credit card with low credit if you set up a fixed payment plan.

After a HUGE breakdown on my part, due to our financial situation and of course due to the growing amount of stress from having a sick pup, Nick looked at me and gave me exactly what I had prayed for. He told me, "It's going to be alright. We're going to get through this, one day at a time. You can't have another breakdown because it will be ok." He's my rock.

We got approved for the credicare card and set up the appointment with the surgeon. Today is Thursday and his appointment is Tuesday, December 4. Nick will take him as I will be at work unable to take time off.

In the meantime Flash lays. He doesn't get up much, only to check on Nick and me if we're in separate rooms, never raising his head as it hurts too much for him to do so. He still wags his tail, though its a lot slower than his normal rapid fire flickering tail. He doesn't make his "beagle noises" he used to make when we rubbed his belly or behind his ear. He doesn't jump up to sprint to the kitchen when he hears a package being opened.

The newest side effect of either the osteoporosis or his medicine is dizziness and balance issues. Maybe its from his loss of weight. You see, it hurts Flash to eat. He still get a little bit of breakfast, snacks throughout the day, and a little bit of dinner, but what used to be a chunky beagle is now a normal sized beagle. Maybe thats a good thing! Ha ha!

I'm sorry for such a long post. I care more about Flash than I do my own self. I do not have children yet, but I certainly consider Flash to be my son. It hurts me to see him in so much pain.

Nick informed me that while we should remain hopeful, we also need to prepare for the worse. He is so practical. There may be a chance that Flash cannot be fixed. We won't know until he meets the surgeon. There is a chance we will have to make the decision to spend almost $5000 on a small chance of recovery or lay him to rest. I prefer to be naive and look forward to the moment he greets me at the door, ears cocked and tail going a mile a minute as he stands up with paws on my stomach, waiting for me to rub him down and kiss his beautiful face.

If anybody reads this novel I call a blog entry, please pray for Flash, send him love and hugs. He is my heart.
Ol's
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2012, 03:26 AM
A big welcome to you Flash, Sheri & Nick. Thank you for sharing your story, very very sad. They are our children. Flash will be in our prayers for good health to return to him. Stay positive. Lots of love and great big hugs from Jayne & Olivia, the West Highland White Terrier xo
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Welcome Sheri, to you and your family. Dogs ARE family, so I know all that you are going through is as painful and stressing as it would be with any other family member.
Stay strong though, and know that there will be many people wishing Flash well and keeping positive thoughts for him both in general, and in particular on the day of his surgeon's appointment.
Much love and hugs to you all from me and my own hound, Cora. x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm so very sorry to read your heartbreaking story, and I hope and pray that this operation will be a great success and bring Flash home to you as he once was. Our dogs are part of our family, and for some of us, they are as prescious as children, they certainly are to me and you. Sending all the positive vibes I've got that this little lad of yours will be cured of this terrible condition and you can love him for many more years to come.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Welcome to Dogsey Sheri.

I'm sorry to read this and can imagine how you are feeling. I will keep Flash in my prayers and am sending lots of positive thoughts that he will get through this.

Take care.
xxx
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Echo what everyone else has said really, dogs for many of us *are* our family. Sending positive vibes for Flash, and *hugs* for you.
FlashsFolks919
New Member!
Female 

02-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Thank you to everyone for welcoming Flash, me and Nick to dogsey.com! You're love and support is so appreciated and I am so thankful to have found this site to help me get through this situation. Flash has had a couple of pretty good days, and I have no doubt it is because of all the love and prayers yall are sending our way! Thank you so much!! I will most definitely keep everyone updated on Flash's condition and the surgeon's diagnosis and prognosis. Thank you again, it means so much to have members of the "dog-lovers" community as friends!!!

Sheri, Nick and of course Flash