Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
silverbeetle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2011, 10:34 AM

Vomiting - advice needed please

My 18 month old westie has been vomiting periodically over the past 24 hours please can someone give some advice on what to do.

Yesterday morning at 4am & 8am he vomited yellow foamy sick (sorry for the graphic description) which I thought was due to empty stomach so I gave him some biscuits and he seemed ok. He was fine throughout the day - his usual lively self and ate his lunch and dinner and did his walks and played as normal.

Then about 20 minutes after his dinner (approx 6.15pm) he vomited twice and sicked back his dinner.

He then seemed to be fine until about 8pm when he seemed hungry again so I gave him some more of his dinner - big mistake as he was promptly sick again. He was then sick again about 10pm and 11.30pm - looked like his dinner.

This morning he was sick at 3am with white foamy sick and about 10am with yellow foamy sick.

Would the best thing to do be to starve him for 24 hours. I will take him to the vet if necessary but he really hates going and gets very stressed and panics.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Janette
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 11:39 AM
He has already been throwing up regularly for over 24hrs? You shouldn't give him anything else to eat at the moment, just make sure he has plenty of water available. I think you need to at least phone the vet and get some advice from them
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
He has already been throwing up regularly for over 24hrs? You shouldn't give him anything else to eat at the moment, just make sure he has plenty of water available. I think you need to at least phone the vet and get some advice from them
Agree with above. Sounds like a tummy bug. If he is drinking then I shouldn't worry too much but definitely no food for 24 hours and then only something very light like chicken and rice. If he is not drinking but still being sick then you really need to get him to the vet as he will be getting dehydrated. Hope he is better tomorrow.