Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 04:12 PM

Panacur for worming - do people use it?

just looking at panacur liquid. i mainly looked for the cats, as attempting to give the cats tablets is just not worth losing an eye over

but the one ive looked at can be given to dogs as well. just a simple squirt on the food.

im thinking about buying it for the simple fact it will do all the animals in one go, its cheaper than buying the separate tablets or spot ons for them all aswell.

so has anyone used panacur? is it a good product?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 04:19 PM
This is my favourite wormer, I've used it quite a few times, BUT, I use the equivalent called Granofen which is the one my particular vet stocks. Normally, you would use this particular wormer over 3 days, it's a 3 day treatment and kills almost everything, including giardia worms.

I like it because my dogs just lap up the food it's in (mine are granules) without even noticing I've put something nasty in it, and it doesn't cause any problems even for 3 days, and that's the main reason I like it, something that does its job without causing me concern!

There is a really specific dosage for this, so just make sure you do the right dose for your requirements, i.e. whether you're doing it over the 3 days or just the one, but my vet has always said it's a 3 day treatment.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
This is my favourite wormer, I've used it quite a few times, BUT, I use the equivalent called Granofen which is the one my particular vet stocks. Normally, you would use this particular wormer over 3 days, it's a 3 day treatment and kills almost everything, including giardia worms.

I like it because my dogs just lap up the food it's in (mine are granules) without even noticing I've put something nasty in it, and it doesn't cause any problems even for 3 days, and that's the main reason I like it, something that does its job without causing me concern!

There is a really specific dosage for this, so just make sure you do the right dose for your requirements, i.e. whether you're doing it over the 3 days or just the one, but my vet has always said it's a 3 day treatment.
thanks for that. i think im going to get it. the one ive just looked at is 25mg to every 1ml it says... it says 4ml for every 1kg of weight. and if its just a routine treatment give in one dose, it mentions the 3 day treatment for kittens and puppies under a certain age.
GreatDaneMommy
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2011, 08:53 AM
I use Panacur (safeguard) and pyrantal pomate on my animals.
I buy it from the feed store in the live stock tubes. Same medicine, but way cheaper than buying it in the dog isle. You can look up the dosge online or ask you vet. I don't remember it off the top of my head. I use a small syringe to get the dosage I need and my dogs eat it right up. Even the apple flavored... LOL
But don't for get to use more than one wormer to get all worms. Pyrantal Pomate is good for worms assosiated with flease and Safeguard (panacur) is large roundn hook worms and such.
The only all purpose wormer I know of is drontal, but that is prescription.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-10-2011, 09:40 AM
i use drontal and its good, my local p@h can prescribe it and my local pet shop as well. so its easyier than going to the vets.
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by promarc View Post
i use drontal and its good, my local p@h can prescribe it and my local pet shop as well. so its easyier than going to the vets.
You can get drontal online, its cheaper than vets and pets at home.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by dog_geek View Post
You can get drontal online, its cheaper than vets and pets at home.
yeah i got the 40-60kg one at 30 quid and found it alot cheaper at vetuk typical lol.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 11:02 AM
I give mine Panacur granules and Drontal Plus alternately. Never had a problem with either.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
thanks for that. i think im going to get it. the one ive just looked at is 25mg to every 1ml it says... it says 4ml for every 1kg of weight. and if its just a routine treatment give in one dose, it mentions the 3 day treatment for kittens and puppies under a certain age.
Sounds like thats the Panacur 2.5%, works out cheaper to buy the Panacur 10% liquid which is 1ml for every 1kg of weight. It's slightly more expensive than the 2.5% but you do get more applications out of it.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Sounds like thats the Panacur 2.5%, works out cheaper to buy the Panacur 10% liquid which is 1ml for every 1kg of weight. It's slightly more expensive than the 2.5% but you do get more applications out of it.
yeah it is that one. i might buy this one this time round and see first, my dogs only weigh in at 4kg each, so i imagine it will last me a while anyway.